Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
MCH_helferlein
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Peter Helfer

File Explorer for Linux Agent Backups

Post by MCH_helferlein »

Dear Veeam Team and dear Forum Users.

At a single location we have a Linux Server with the Veeam Agent installed that makes file level backups to a USB disk.
I know it would be possible to restore files within the linux Agent console on the server itself.

But I thougt it would be great for those users there to have a Veeam File Explorer on their Windows Clients.

In case of a restore they could take the usb disk with the backups to their windows client and browse the backups with a Windows Veeam Explorer that can open the backups made by the Linux Agent.

How can this be done?
Is there such a standalone Windows Fileexplorer für Linux Backups?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: File Explorer for Linux Agent Backups

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
is it about a "full blown installation with Veeam Backup & Replication", or is it only a standalone agent without VBR? For standalone: only Linux machines can open / mount Linux backups. There is no way to present a Linux backup file directly to Windows.

For full installation with VBR: if the USB disk is registered as a Veeam repository, then a backup admin can do file level restore in a similar way as for Windows. The backup job then needs to point to the Veeam repository (backed by the USB disk).

Best regards,
Hannes
MCH_helferlein
Expert

Post by MCH_helferlein »

Hi Hannes.

It's just a standalone Linux Agent installation directly on that linux server.

If it would be a full VBR it would be great and I would know how to handle it.

In case we would install complete VBR community edition, could I import the backups already made onto that usb disk when I would add this as repository?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
normally the VBR server (also community edition) would do everything. That means it manages the agent and the repository.

Manual import should also work, yes. Additionally to what you wrote, the Linux machine needs to be added as "managed server". This managed server then gets selected during the file level recovery wizard as "helper host"

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Best regards,
Hannes
PS: for one machine, I would avoid that VBR overhead and do everything from Linux.
MCH_helferlein
Expert

Post by MCH_helferlein »

PS: for one machine, I would avoid that VBR overhead and do everything from Linux.
You are right...

Thank you Hannes
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Alternatively, you can skip the "adding as managed server" part and select the server manually every time you do FLR.