Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dspringer
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: David Springer

Rename old Jobs or start new ones?

Post by dspringer »

Unfortunately, my former colleague had not created the backup jobs of our locations with a uniform naming scheme.

The jobs at the external locations are called, for example, "Daily backup *(insert location here)* *(insert backup group here)*". The jobs at our main location, however, are only called "Daily backup *(insert backup group here)*". We also have Weekly backups with the same scheme.
As you can imagine, it is accordingly unfunny to display all the day jobs of the main location in the backup history, because it is simply not possible to filter.

Therefore, my next goal is to give the jobs of our main location a new name. What would you do?
- Do you rename the existing jobs in a cumbersome way according to a guide like this one .
- Or simply create a clone and then start with completely new jobs on a sticky day.

I would assume that a restart is the cleaner way - especially with regard to the history under Backups -> Tape. The overview under Backups -> Disks cleans up quite quickly when the stopped jobs have reached their theoretical retention time of X storage points with the new jobs. I would then remove these old backups from the disk.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Rename old Jobs or start new ones?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Dave
As you can imagine, it is accordingly unfunny to display all the day jobs of the main location in the backup history, because it is simply not possible to filter.
If you don't want to reconfigure anything, you could create views (job filter) in the Job menu to group the Daily Jobs in a single view. Use Arrow keys on your keyboard (←, →] to go through the job history. This gets you much faster through a single jobs history as filtering in the History menu. I used it often to manage a lot of jobs in a single VBR console.
Therefore, my next goal is to give the jobs of our main location a new name. What would you do?
- Do you rename the existing jobs in a cumbersome way according to a guide like this one .
- Or simply create a clone and then start with completely new jobs on a sticky day.
If you have enough storage, copy them and start a new backup chain. That's the only way to have everywhere (Console, Folder, Files) the same naming as the job.
I cannot say how it looks for the tape job. I would have to try it in my test lab.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
dkuser
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: dkuser

Re: Rename old Jobs or start new ones?

Post by dkuser »