Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
AlexHeylin
Veeam Legend
Liked: 173 times
Full Name: Alex Heylin

[Enhancement Suggestion] Upgrades to prompt to upgrade all components

Post by AlexHeylin »

I just upgraded two VBM365 servers from latest v5 to v6 GA and everything went fine according to the GUI.
Overnight all backups on both servers failed due to "The repository is out of date and needs to be upgraded". It would be helpful if VBM365 prompted for these upgrades, or offered the option to do them automatically. Both these things happen in VBR upgrades. I don't recall these updates being needed in the v4 -> v5 upgrade, though they might have been. I also don't remember the v4 -> v5 causing backup failures like this.

I suggest this change might be made before you push VBM365 v6 to the update servers - otherwise you risk upsetting a number of admins with an upgrade you push, which says it's completed OK - but in fact hasn't upgraded everything and has left their backups broken.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2311 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: [Enhancement Suggestion] Upgrades to prompt to upgrade all components

Post by Mildur »

Hi Alex

Thanks for the request.

Upgrading the backup repository is always required since I remember for upgrading Major versions (using VB365 since V2.0). I find it strange, that the release notes only talks about version 4 to 6 (Release Notes, Page 19) which needs an backup repository upgrade. Let me check that.

The required upgrade for the components is also documented in the user guides:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=60
Once installed, the following entities will be marked as Out of Date:
Backup repositories
For information on how to upgrade backup repositories, see Upgrading Backup Repositories.
Backup jobs
For information on how to upgrade backup jobs, see Upgrading Backup Job.
Backup proxy servers
For information on how to upgrade backup proxy servers, see Upgrading Backup Proxy Servers
Consider that a default backup proxy server will be upgraded automatically.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

The UI should state it after the upgrade when you look into the infrastructure tab and @Mildur is indeed correct. This is a procedure that exists since early versions.

I see that there is indeed a typo in the Release Notes, and from v5 to v6 should indeed be mentioned. I will ask to modify it and update the one at the helpcenter page.
AlexHeylin
Veeam Legend

Post by AlexHeylin »

You're both correct in what you say. However as it doesn't prompt to do the upgrade, like VBR does, it caught me unawares.
Given what you say, this may be less likely to catch others unaware than I thought. However, I suggest it would still be an enhancement to prompt to do the upgrade - not rely on the admin RTFM (who actually does RTFM?!), or going into the Infrastructure tab where it becomes clear the upgrade is required. I'm not saying it doesn't work now, just that I think it could work better. Thanks both.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

@AlexHeylin Understood and we will look into it. Maybe just a prompt after first login when the upgrade is done that tells you certain components need to be upgraded could be enough already I think
AlexHeylin
Veeam Legend

Post by AlexHeylin »

Yep, that would be a great improvement and probably all we need. Thanks.