Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pkuzniasz
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Pete Kuzniasz

Restore of Windows 2008 files

Post by pkuzniasz »

I guess 1st I should go over my test environment. I have a Windows Sever 2008 machine with Exchange 2010 beta installed. I have 2 disks assigned to this VM, a 40GB C: drive (Simple, Basic) and a 60GB D: drive (Simple,Basic).
Veeam Backup reports that the backup job is successful, but the restore is not showing me the files on my D: drive. I have Exchange installed to the D: drive - it also is where my Storage Group is. I also have a file share and some files located in the share. When I run the restore process, I see neither the shared folder and files, nor the Exchange directory from the backup files/job.

The only files I can see from the D: drive backup are $RECYCLE.BIN, System Volume Information, and the pagefile.sys.

Any ideas??
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Restore of Windows 2008 files

Post by Gostev »

Pete, since you can see other "normal" files on this volume, this is likely specific to Exchange 2010 Beta and the way it creates/permissions/encrypts/etc its files or folders.
ssimakov
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Stanislav Simakov

Post by ssimakov »

pkuzniasz, don't you have any snapshots on this VM by chance?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Oh, my bad, I keep forgetting about this release note :D
pkuzniasz
Novice

Post by pkuzniasz »

Ok, I see this may be with the way Exchange 2010 sets permissions on the directory, etc. But - why can't I see the shared folder and the contents of that in the restore image? The shared folder is at the root of the D: drive, not in the same path as Exchange (D:\Program Files\etc...).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Sorry, do you have any snapshots on this VM?
pkuzniasz
Novice

Post by pkuzniasz »

I made 2 snapshots of the machine through VMWare Infrastructure Client, one with just the base install of Windows 2008 and one as the system is now.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Snapshots is what is causing this. Per our release notes, if a VM has snapshots, Backup Browser mounts the VM file system to the earliest snapshot. This is because we can perform file level restore from VMDK only, but as soon as you make snapshot, all changes are starting to apply into snapshot files, while VMDK remains in the state it was before snapshot is made. Looks like at that time, you did not have Exchange 2010 installed yet, which is why you are not seeing it.
pkuzniasz
Novice

Post by pkuzniasz »

Ok, my bad. I will delete the snapshots off the system and check after another backup cycle. Thanks for the help.