Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
AdamsStateUniversity
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Cedric

Using S3 Compatible Object bucket as Repo

Post by AdamsStateUniversity »

Hello all,

Sorry for the kind of noob question here but we are new to the Veeam world and we are trying to integrate it with our existing BackBlaze B2 Cloud Storage that we have. I looked on the information from BackBlaze regarding setting up their S3 Compatible buckets in Veeam but other than creating a full Scale-Out Repository that seems to want to backup everything in my local repository we are unable to find a way to utilize that S3 Bucket for storage.

The reason behind it is we have a hand full of systems that we deem mission critical and that we additionally want to backup into the cloud, however we don't want to upload all of our systems there because they aren't that critical.

Are we missing something in the configuration?

Thanks
Cedric
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 613 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: Using S3 Compatible Object bucket as Repo

Post by jorgedlcruz » 1 person likes this post

Hello Cedric,
Welcome to the Forums! This is not a newbie question, no worries, it is quite common actually. The short answer is, that you are correct about what you have seen from BackBlaze. In order to leverage Object Storage as a Backup Repository, you need to combine it with a Scale-out Backup Repository so you have different tiers, Performance Tier is your current Storage where your backups are, and then Capacity Tier (Object Storage), and there is one more which is Archive Tier but not important on this question.

In future releases, you would be able to select Object Storage directly as a Backup Repo, for Backups, or Backup Copy jobs, but meanwhile, yes you need to create a SOBR.

I understand that you do not want all your Backups to go to Object Storage, so for now the only way to achieve this would be to create more logical local repositories, meaning folders on your current Repository, and then create normal Backup Repositories and move there the Backups that you want to keep out of the cloud, and point the jobs to those new Repositories.

Then, create SOBR with the Backup Repos where you have backups that you want to COPY/MOVE to BackBlaze, and you are good to go. Leverage this KB in order to move backup files.

Hope it helps.
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Post by rennerstefan » 2 people like this post

In addition to what Jorge wrote, the direct to object will be included in v12 release.
That said, after the release you can also write to Object without the need of a SOBR.

Also see here:
post449694.html#p449694
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
AdamsStateUniversity
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Cedric

Post by AdamsStateUniversity » 1 person likes this post

Thank you guys so much that is exactly what we were looking for! No idea why it didn't dawn on me to just make another local repository myself, I guess I'm still used to DPM where you have zero control over the repository.

It will definitely be helpful to have the direct write to the Object at some point but for now at least I can backup our mission critical systems the way we wanted without taking 90% of my environment along.