Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Vantage
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris

Unable to process (Servername): Host scan is required

Post by Vantage »

CASE: 03493796

I'll paste the same as I've sent to support as it might be a quick answer -

I cannot get a "Windows Computer Backup" to work.
This is all running on 1 PC, I'm not trying to deploy the agent to any workstations.... it's just 1 PC.

Windows 10 Pro
Veeam B & R 9.5 with update 4a
Windows agent is deployed.
Firewall is currently disabled (for testing).

I added the local host (call it LocalServer) as a managed server.
Added all repositories i intend to use.
Now I go to Home > Backup Job > Windows Computer
I choose Server, Manged by Backup Server
Give the job a name
Add LocalServer as an individual computer and use correct credentials.
Choose Volume backup.
Choose "Operating System"
Choose my repository
Leave the "Application aware" option ticked.
Finish creating the job.

Now i right click on the job and go to Start - It says "waiting for rescan of server", then fails saying "Unable to process LocalServer: Host scan is required"

That's as far as I get. I just cannot get the backup to work.... I think i must be missing something obvious as searching for that error gives no help.

Thanks....
Adrian1980
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times

Re: Unable to process (Servername): Host scan is required

Post by Adrian1980 »

Did you add it by name or IP?
Is DNS-Resolving properly work?
Did you the host rescan as required?
Proud to be a Veeam Certified Architect.
Vantage
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris

Post by Vantage » 1 person likes this post

Tried Name and IP
DNS is fine
Multiple re-scans - All failed

Looks like it was a permissions issue. After Veeam support told me how to check the logs, i found a few access denied errors.

I got it working in the end by enabling the built in Windows 10 Administrator account and then changing the credentials in Veeam to use this account instead of my own local user... which was supposed to be an admin.

Thanks for your help.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Chris,

Glad you nailed it!
Now i right click on the job and go to Start - It says "waiting for rescan of server", then fails saying "Unable to process LocalServer: Host scan is required"
Keep in mind that once the host is added via backup job you can go to Inventory node > Manually Added protection group to perform required actions or edits on the host (i.e. change the name, rescan or update your agent). Hope it helps, cheers!
JedTheHead
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jed

Post by JedTheHead »

Vantage wrote: Apr 04, 2019 5:09 pm I got it working in the end by enabling the built in Windows 10 Administrator account and then changing the credentials in Veeam to use this account instead of my own local user... which was supposed to be an admin.
I am having the same issue over and over again on two hosts but not others. How did support show you to check the logs? That's what I need and can't figure it out!

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jed,

Have you tried to enable the built-in Windows 10 Administrator account? Did that help? Any chance you have a case ID to share? Thank you!
kaeser49

Post by kaeser49 » 1 person likes this post

it helped for me to enable the built-in Windows 10 Administrator account
JackT
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jack T.

Post by JackT »

I've re-named a backup server and added the new domain name to Veeam. How do I make this work, as I'm getting the error message "Waiting for rescan job Rescan of Exchange Server Backup to complete
Unable to process [ServerName]: host rescan is required
Nothing to process"

Thanks
suntech
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: bob kahler

Post by suntech »

Hi JackT,

I've gotten the same message. I've discovered that if the Windows version is the latest, Veeam will not work. This is a thing with Windows 10 workstations. I don't know if it happens with servers.

In my case, I confirmed my workstation is being seen as Windows 11 even though it is Windows 10. Apparently, the latest windows update does some odd things. I'm not updating (besides security updates) any servers or workstations until B&R v12 is released. Veeam B&R v12 is supposed to handle whichever Windows update is causing the issues.

I confirmed that my test workstation is being seen as Windows 11 by following Dima P.'s advice and "going to Inventory node > Manually Added protection group to perform required actions or edits on the host (i.e. change the name, rescan or update your agent)". I read the details which think the system is Windows 11. Rescanning tells me "11/28/2022 4:18:40 PM :: Microsoft Windows version installed on this machine is not officially supported by Veeam yet"

If this applies to servers, maybe you can track it easily by checking the system in the Inventory Node. I know how to check the manually added systems but it may not apply to what you need to see.