Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
desmith
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Derek Smith

Network traffic rules and offload via gateway

Post by desmith »

For network segregation reasons we have 2 BNR servers at a particular site, sharing a WAN link.

Originally I had both configured to offload directly to S3 storage, with network traffic rules throttling internet traffic to 60% of WAN capacity, but more frequently than expected, both servers would be offloading at the same time and degrade WAN performance.

I assumed if I made one server use the other as a gateway for capacity tier, if offload jobs did run concurrently, the internet throttling rate would apply to combined egress traffic from the server, but we had 2 offloads run over the weekend and the link was maxxed out. The server that makes use of the gateway started uploading first, using about 70% of our bandwidth (I'm unsure if any throttling was applied), then the server acting as gateway also started uploading using all of the remaining 30%.

Has anyone else tried similar configuration?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Network traffic rules and offload via gateway

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
each backup server is working independent. It does it's own bandwidth calculation etc. and does not care whatever the other backup server has configured. The gateway is a "dumb" data mover with no intelligence.

If both upload at the same time and you like to end up with around 60%, then each VBR server needs to have 30% configured.

Best regards,
Hannes