Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cgsm
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times

Cannot Restore From Immutable Repo, Failed to Connect to the port

Post by cgsm »

I am having trouble restoring a VM from an immutable repo. The process fails with the error "Restore job failed Error: Failed to connect to the port [10.99.99.1:2500]". I have ports 2500 to 3300 open on the immutable repo. I have also tried with the firewall turned off. Reference case #05420419 where I have not been able to receive a resolution.

I followed Gostev's guide with setting up the immutable repo. The only change I have made is that the immutable repo server is direct connected to the VBR server (10Gb ethernet); the immutable repo is not connected to the LAN. I did this as an extra hardening step so that the immutable repo isn't present on the LAN at all and an attacker would need to compromise the VBR server first.

Backup copy jobs, health checks as part of the copy job, and running & restoring a VM via Instant Recovery works fine (except as noted below). I can ping and ssh from the VBR server to the immutable repo. However, Test-NetConnection -ComputerName 10.99.99.1 -Port 2500 fails (this was suggested by support).

An Instant Recovery works if, and only if, I do not start the VM before "Migrate to Production". If the VM is booted, a nearly same error message is returned except the IP noted in the error is one of my proxy IPs, not the immutable repo IP. As long as I perform the Instant Restore, don't power on the VM, and then Migrate, the restore & migrate complete successfully.

I ran tcpdump on the immutable repo while running pings and Test-NetConnection to it and I can see the request and responses so I don't understand why Test-NetConnection is failing. tcpdump also shows traffic when performing an entire VM restore (that fails)

VBR Server: Windows Server 2016. LAN IP: 10.10.10.39. NIC to Immutable Repo IP: 10.99.99.2.
Immutable Repo: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. LAN IP: disconnected. NIC to VBR Server: 10.99.99.1.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Cannot Restore From Immutable Repo, Failed to Connect to the port

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I can only recommend to continue with support, as it makes little sense to guess this kind of technical issues on a forum.

Last support comment I saw is duplicate bios UUIDs which might be the reason.

Best regards,
Hannes