Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
StanoSedliak
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Stano Sedliak

Agent backup for "cluster disk"

Post by StanoSedliak »

Hi,

we are doing Linux agent backup for disks which are multi-writer (shared by 2 linux servers) as VM backup can not doing snapshot.
We are using a virtual IP for the disk backup and in backup we have only the needed vg.

One problem is that after the disks is switched from server A to B we need to do a rescan otherwise we have an error : BIOS UUID has been modified, please rescan the host, this can be fixed if we setup rescan job before backup job but
the second is that in restore points I can see 2 times the same vIP "name" as one time backup was done from host A and second time from host B but there is only vIP and again vIP so I need to check backup time to know which is the last backup, is there any other option how can we setup the linux agent backup for multi-write disks via the vIP?

Thank you!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Agent backup for "cluster disk"

Post by Mildur »

Hi Stano

No, we track the agents over the BIOS UUID.
If the BIOS UUID changes, Veeam will see the agent as a new machine.

If you only want to backup the VG which contains the production data, why don't you use only 1 Veeam Agent and backup the VG always on the same linux machine with the physical IP, and not the virtual IP? No Rescan would be required and veeam will not the data a second time.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
StanoSedliak
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Stano Sedliak

Post by StanoSedliak »

Hi Mildur,

the VG now is running on System A but later it can be that it will be running on system B so I need to do the backup via vIP, its not running at the same time on both but only on one but it can be A or B so thats the reason why I did it over vIP. Its also working, the rescan before backup job is also ok but its a little but confusing that in restore points I have 2 times the vIP name.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please keep in mind these limitations:
The following limitations apply to the backup of machines used as cluster nodes:

If your cluster nodes consist of LVM logical volumes or volume groups, you can back up them using the veeam-nosnap package. For details, see Appendix A. Requirements for veeam-nosnap.
If your cluster nodes do not consist of LVM logical volumes or volume groups, you can back up them using only file-level backup in the snapshot-less mode. Other backup modes are not supported.
Thanks!