Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bryanvaneeden
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bryan van Eeden

SOBR # of performance extents

Post by bryanvaneeden »

Hi guys,

I wasn't sure about this next one, that is why I am asking here.

I was wondering how the scalabilty is at Veeam v11 (latest version as of today) in regards to the number of performance extents possible within a SOBR. I've asked support and researched myself and it seems you cannot have any more than 4 performance extents with 3 being active and 1 in maintenance mode. Also see:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

However, I've found some other blog posts and Veeam images on the web that indicate since Veeam v11 it is a "N" situation in which you can have any number of Extents in the Performance Tier. At this point I noticed we also have several SOBR's that have 4 active running extents, without any issues. And the documentation clearly states:
If you add four performance extents and do not put any of them to the maintenance mode, the jobs targeted at the scale-out backup repository will fail.

Which is clearly not happening here. Can anybody explain this to me? For a cloud provider 3 (active) extents might not be enough, and with a VCD environment behind it, it's cumbersome to have many SOBR's.

Thanks!
DonZoomik
Service Provider
Liked: 120 times
Full Name: Mihkel Soomere

Re: SOBR # of performance extents

Post by DonZoomik »

If you use Enterprise edition of Veeam Backup & Replication, you can create two scale-out backup repositories.
It's a license limitation, Ent+ (and VUL) have no practical limit as far as I know.
bryanvaneeden
Novice

Post by bryanvaneeden »

As far as I am aware of that is for the number of SOBR's in a Veeam installation. Enterprise only allows 2 as in Enterprise Plus/VUL allows any number.
DonZoomik
Service Provider
Liked: 120 times
Full Name: Mihkel Soomere

Post by DonZoomik »

You're missing the context. That whole multi-row bulletin point is about Enterprise edition, except the last line saying that Ent+ and VUL have no limitations
If you use Enterprise edition of Veeam Backup & Replication, you can create two scale-out backup repositories.
For each scale-out backup repository, you can add one object storage repository as a capacity extent and four standard backup repositories as performance extents: three active, and one inactive (that is put to the maintenance mode). You can add inactive extents, for example, if any of active extents has no free space, and you want to evacuate backup data from it.

If you add four performance extents and do not put any of them to the maintenance mode, the jobs targeted at the scale-out backup repository will fail.

Veeam Universal License and Enterprise Plus editions have no limitations on the number of scale-out backup repositories or performance extents.
bryanvaneeden
Novice

Post by bryanvaneeden »

It seems I have missed the last wording in that line.... I really thought this was a technical limit. Thank you for the explanation.