Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
jlester
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jason Lester

"No backup files found" since v11 Upgrade

Post by jlester »

Case ID: 04815737

It appears that since the v11 upgrade, our tape jobs have been silently failing. The jobs show successful, but nothing is being written to tape. I went back and verified that it definitely started when I did the v11 upgrade. Since then, the jobs are successful but show "No backup files found" and "No new files to backup per job settings".

Has anything changed in the logic for tapes with v11? In our case, we start a new media set each weekend and spool off a full backup of each job to tape for the week. Those get rotated out of the library on Friday so we always have several weeks of offline backups, each week on a separate tape. Our nightly scripts just watch the messages and haven't tripped because the tape jobs show successful, even though they aren't doing anything. That's pretty concerning and I saw some previous posts about that as well.

I thought maybe the backup mapping got messed up, so I went through all the tape jobs and re-pointed them to the backup jobs last week. I'm still seeing the same behavior though.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: "No backup files found" since v11 Upgrade

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jason,

1. What are the source jobs in the question? VM backup, agent backup, backup copy jobs?
2. Can you confirm that new restore points were created on the repository after the last job run?
3. Tape jobs are pointed to regular media pool or GFS media pool?

Thank you in advance!
jlester
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jason Lester

Post by jlester »

1 - Source are backup jobs
2 - Yes
3 - Regular pool

I thought about the problem more last night. We also expanded our SOBR and added more retention points to the job. Because of that, we have it doing Active Fulls once a month now. If I'm reading the docs right, that keeps the tape job from doing a virtual full. We have incrementals turned off on the job, so maybe that's why it isn't finding anything? If I turn incrementals on for the job, will it get a full backup each time the tape job runs (last full plus all incrementals since)?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jason,

Looks like you got it! With periodic active full enabled on the source jobs syntactic full wont be created for tape jobs and since incremental backup to tape is disabled there is nothing to tape out. Cut the long story short - tape job will write only newly created active full backups.
cgrebing
Influencer
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Christian Grebing

Post by cgrebing »

Hi,

we have the same problem since v11.
We have a backup to tape job which is running daily and doing synth. full tape backups every day.
the source job is a backup copy job with 7 restore point an 4 weekly synth. full backups.

Since update to v11 this does not work anymore with message "no new files to backup per job settings"

we did change nothing to the jobs
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost »

Hi Christian.

Since v11 Backup Copy jobs with enabled GFS retention behave similar to VM backup jobs with enabled periodic fulls so they are considered forward incremental and tape jobs do not create virtual full bacukps for them.
mdiver
Veeam Legend
Liked: 33 times

Post by mdiver »

So I understand that the changes to how the GFS chain for backup copy jobs is produced with V11 also leads to this change with virtual to tape.
We now have "real" synthetic fulls with backup copy also instead of the old "strange" mechanism with rolling merges.

But why shouldn't the virtual to tape not work with a chain with "real" active or synthetic fulls in the first place?

We quite often produced the tape outs for customers from GFS enabled backup copy jobs which stopped working with V11.
Could the virtual synthesis not just always be done on the most recent active chain? The mechanism should be the same.

Thanks,
Mike
mdiver
Veeam Legend
Liked: 33 times

Post by mdiver »

lyapkost wrote: May 20, 2021 2:26 pm Hi Christian.

Since v11 Backup Copy jobs with enabled GFS retention behave similar to VM backup jobs with enabled periodic fulls so they are considered forward incremental and tape jobs do not create virtual full bacukps for them.
I totally get the point. Though we used virtual full tape outs a lot from backup copies leveraging GFS.
Why should it from a technical perspective only be possible to support it for forever forward but not for forward incrementals?
VBR could in the same manner build the *.vsb from the most recent chain, couldn't it?

We would love to get the feature back for backup copies. Several of our implementations with customers fail with tape outs since V11.
Even primary jobs with GFS would benefit.

Thanks,
Mike
soon108
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: TANG SAI SOON

Post by soon108 »

Hi Guys,

Case 05270290
Can I know the best solution to this problem?
Do we need to manually make an active full backup before running the backup to the tape job?
Did an upgrade to Veeam 11a resolve this issue?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2287 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

@soon108

The Case was closed in February because we don't have received an answer in 7 days.
Please create a new one.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software