Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
jsdrexel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott D

Is there a way to easily test my capacity tier backup chain?

Post by jsdrexel »

We are having some issues with a couple of clients where we use some external hard drives for local performance tier storage in our SOBRs and S3 for the capacity tiers.

We're trying to test a restore to a test server, totally unrelated to that location in case of disaster. We can add the capacity tier (object storage) and import the backups. It sees the backups but when we restores, we're getting failures. I'm assuming it has something to possibly do with the chains getting out of whack? Also, sometimes we do get failures trying to import the backups saying that it cannot find a file?

My question is there an easy way to test the backup chains besides doing what we're doing by creating a test restore? It works fine for most of our clients, but we don't want to be stuck when we really need the data restored. And it seems to be mainly the clients where we're using external drives locally on a rotational basis. So far the only way we've been able to resolve these issues is the start the backup over from scratch. Would rather not have to reseed up to the cloud every time we get this. And would love to know that it's actually not working before doing a test to find out.

Thanks so much all!!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Is there a way to easily test my capacity tier backup chain?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Scott
My question is there an easy way to test the backup chains besides doing what we're doing by creating a test restore?
For Backups in capacity tier, instant recovery is the best method to do the restore test.
With V11a, you can directly restore Data from the capacity tier back to your hypervisor host.
We are having some issues with a couple of clients where we use some external hard drives for local performance tier storage in our SOBRs and S3 for the capacity tiers
Are this usb drives? Rotated Disks are not supported in a SOBR. Please don't use them anymore. Veeam will ignore the rotated Disk Setting in a SOBR and will assume, that the backup files and metadata are always on the disk, which are not when your client is rotating the disk. The Files are missing on the second disk. That's the reason why you have to start active fulls all the times.
Our recommendation is to use a dedicated server for VBR with a few local disks formatted with reFS.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Scale-out backup repositories do not support rotated drives. If you enable the This repository is backed by rotated hard drives setting on an extent, Veeam Backup & Replication will ignore this setting and will work with such repository as with a standard extent.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jsdrexel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott D

Post by jsdrexel »

We've been doing restores directly from the capacity tiers but it shows failing first at the performance tier. Is there a special way to restore directly from the Capacity Tier?

Thanks again.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

If you have Veeam V11a installed, a restore from "Object Storage" will not use the data on the performance tier.

Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software