Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
rjv1971
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ron

OLD Backup Copy Job data

Post by rjv1971 »

I used to backup with a backup job -> backup copy job for GFS. I have many weekly/monthly/yearly restore points here, in Azure.

With V11, now I can set the retention in the backup job, no need for the backup copy anymore. But what happens to that data when I change my backup jobs to keep certain backups longer and cut out the backup copy job? Will it just stay on Azure forever?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: OLD Backup Copy Job data

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just to clarify... you have the following setup today: backup copy job that points to a scale-out repository with capacity tier and "copy" mode set. Correct?

With V11, we added a "background retention" for GFS restore points. This "background retention" is applied for orphaned restore points. When you delete the backup copy job, then the backups in object storage end up in "Object Storage (orphaned)". That means all GFS restore points will be cleaned up over time. The only restore points that will stay forever are the ones configured in the backup copy job retention policy. If those are set to days (not "restore points"), the software will also clean that up in V12 (not in V11 you asked for)

Best regards,
Hannes