Disaster recovery orchestration for the Enterprise (formerly Veeam Availability Orchestrator)
gnicoll01
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Graham Nicoll

Active-Active site deployment

Post by gnicoll01 »

If I have active-active sites with replications going in both directions. Would it be supported to deploy Veeam DRO in both sites or do I need to choose one site for the DRO server?

Assuming we can only deploy it in a single site would we deploy it in the same site as the Veeam Backup server?

And what then needs to be restored to the second site to run orchestration plans? I assume we would need the Veeam Backup Server, Veeam DRO server and all of the related SQL databases?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Active-Active site deployment

Post by Mildur »

Would it be supported to deploy Veeam DRO in both sites or do I need to choose one site for the DRO server?
One VBR can only be connected to one vDRO. As I understand, you use only one VBR server to do the backups and replicas?
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
gnicoll01
Novice

Post by gnicoll01 »

Yes, there will be 1 VBR server managing the backup infrastructure in both sites. Should the site with the VBR server fail then either a replica of the VBR server ot a standby VBR server would be brought online with the configuration backup of the primary one.

Would it be better to have a VBR serer in each site? If so would we need to have dedicated proxy servers for each VBR server in both sites?
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 613 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello Graham,
Please bear in mind that VDRO does include its own VBR, so you could totally use this specific VBR for the Replicas, CDP, meaning your Tier-1 more critical workloads. While leveraging your normal VBR for your backups, and backup copies.

That could be a good option. Another one would be to have VBR do a File Copy of the Backup config, plus for example having the Production VBR do a replica of the VDRO VM, and having the VDRO VBR doing a replica of the production VBR, assuming they are virtualized.

These are just some suggestions I saw in the field.
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
gnicoll01
Novice

Post by gnicoll01 »

Thanks Jorge,

That's what I thought would be the options.

Graham