Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
richardbradley
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Bradley

Feature Request SMTP Alerting

Post by richardbradley »

Hi Guys,

We recently log a case with support (05441151) and the engineer provided us a useful outcome for this.
But I thought best to also list here for a feature request, as this is something that has confused me from day one with VAW.

Basically this ticket was re SMTP notifications/alerting, and wanting to setup email to another mailbox.
I can see this being very useful for not only SPs like myself but also customer sites.
Example: You maybe an engineer or IT manager, have 2 servers/workstations using VAW and you want to get emails of failures and warnings to your mailbox so you can see. It would be useful to see what server they came from from the from address.
Additionally any in house team I have worked with there was always a second team member to get backup alerts, so you may want to send to a distribution list or multiple senders.

As such I can see many uses for being available for users in the GUI, rather than having to change a config file.

Could you please add this as a new feature request?
Thanks,
Richard
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature Request SMTP Alerting

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
normally Veeam Agent for Windows should be managed by Veeam Backup & Replication or Veeam Service Provider console. In both cases, nobody needs to read any emails. Reports in the console or VeeamONE would show the current state in the protected computers report

Unfortunately, I cannot see exactly what the support engineer did (was it done in a remote session?). Did support do this config xml change?

Just to clarify your requests. you like to see the following new features:
1) configure "FROM" address. Is it not possible to use the %ComputerName% in the subject to achieve what you like to achieve?
2) define multiple recipients. Is it possible to define mail rules on the email server to achieve what you like to achieve?

Is my understanding correct?

Best regards,
Hannes
richardbradley
Service Provider

Post by richardbradley »

Hi Hannes,
Yes I was instructed to use the xml export option and then edit the xml and import again.

Yes, you can confirm that I am requesting those features.

We personally do use the %ComputerName% variable in the subject, but in our case we are an external vendor so needed the email to go to an external sender and not the internal shared mailbox.
Additionally I can see many people being frustrated having to setup mail rules in exchange to send the email to someone else or multiple recipients.

I agree that in most cases the agent would be managed by a VBR server or SP Console, but this may not always be the case, hence I added as a request.

Considering all other Veeam products provide the ability to set a from address and to addresses (Multiple) and the xml config file supports this, I would think it would make sense to have this available on the agent GUI also.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Additionally I can see many people being frustrated
let's see :-) When many people are frustrated, there are usually many people posting on the forums and ask for a feature.

Best regards,
Hannes
govi
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Govinda Naik

Post by govi »

I support this feature. We must have From and To email notification option in VAW. I think i have raised this request 3 years back.

I dont wish to take Veeam console license with cloud connect provider just to know if backup is success or failed.Currently we are managing this request using internal forwarding to distribution list amongs IT support. Real problem is that when you use single notification email address in diferent parts of world. Email service provider consider as compromised account and it blocks the account and we do not receive notification.
One option could be to create different notificaton email address for different locations but if we have 10 different location, then we need to create 10 email id's and those 10 email id needs to be forwarded again to distribution group. What a pain!!!!!

I understand other features of clould connect service but we need only simple From and To field to receive notification.

Veeam is more focused in developing product for cloud platform and i understand cloud is future but at the same time should look at small functionality which customer been asking for over years.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello folks,
simple From and To field to receive notification
The mentioned improvement is planned. Stay tuned for next version!
richardbradley
Service Provider

Post by richardbradley »

Thanks for the update Dima