Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

RMAN Plugin - Immutable Backups

Post by ferrus »

Are there any changes planned in v12, allowing immutability in RMAN plugin backups to hardened repositories?
We're currently supporting on-premise object repository, solely for this purpose. It would be good to have the backups on a single repository platform again.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: RMAN Plugin - Immutable Backups

Post by Mildur »

Hi Ferrus

Yes, Immutability for Enterprise Plugins on Linux hardened repositories is planned for V12.
We announce it last week at VeeamOn.
It would be good to have the backups on a single repository platform again.
I don't recommend to count on a single repository platform. Just make sure to use two different medias for the backup copies per our 3-2-1-1-0 rule.
A second copy on Object Storage is still a good idea with V12. :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

Post by ferrus »

That's good news.

Indeed, I quite like the idea of the on-premise storage - but our experience with it hasn't been great.
The initial backups seem to work well, but subsequent Backup, SOBR tiering and Object Cleanup jobs seem to fail or timeout most of the time.

I look forward to trying it again with all the Object Storage changes in v12, but it'll be good to do it from a position of testing rather than necessity, with the RMAN backups safely on an existing working repo.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Understood. The hardened repositories are a good solution if they are correctly hardened.

If you have issues with object storage offloading, you could always open a ticket with our support team.
I only faced issues with Object Cleanup jobs when I removed a lot restore points, because the object storage had to delete to many objects at once :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software