Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
stewsie
Veteran
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Paul

Immutable backup settings

Post by stewsie »

I have been testing AWS S3 and immutability for a couple of months and have a need to change the configuration as this part of the testing has been completed. I wanted to see what would happen if I changed the Immutable settings on the object storage repository in Veeam. I changed the number from our requirement to 1 and was surprised I was then able to delete backups that were in S3 that previously told me they were immutable until a date in June. I thought the whole point with this feature is that not even an admin can delete backups until the immutable date is reached and I shouldn't have just been able to edit this setting in the Object Storage settings. Had I configured something wrong initially? What else could I do to prevent someone who was to gain access to the console to do this very same thing? Presume MFA is still not on the horizon for access to the console?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Immutable backup settings

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

If you open an S3 browser, you will see that those objects are still there (they just have deleted marker assigned). You can also revert the state of Scale-Out Backup Repository to pre-reconfiguration step, using the special cmdlet.

More information regarding different restore scenarios can be found here.

Thanks!