Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
sanketm11
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sanket Hemant Mhatre

Veeam ONE -- Not able to add Physical host

Post by sanketm11 »

Team,

I want to know if VEEAM ONE can monitor and Report for PHYSICAL servers , since while installation and server addition to veeamOne that option is not visible only we can add Hyper-v or vCenter servers (Virtual Infrastructure) for monitoring.

We have a License for Veeam Availability Suite Universal
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 613 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: Veeam ONE -- Not able to add Physical host

Post by jorgedlcruz » 1 person likes this post

Hello Sanket,
We do provide certain visibility for the Veeam Agents, yes, but mostly around Data Protection, take a look here: In terms of other monitoring like CPU, RAM, etc, Veeam ONE does not monitor any of those at the moment. What other sort of monitoring are you looking for from Veeam ONE for your physical servers?
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
sanketm11
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sanket Hemant Mhatre

Post by sanketm11 »

Thanks jorgedlcruz , i will try that option and check...
Markus M.
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times

Post by Markus M. »

Just stumbled over this post while looking for information regarding Veeam One and the ability to monitor physical hosts.
We just migrated our licenses into VUL and took the opportunity to upgrade the license into Availability suite.
Without doing any kind of PoC with Veeam One, I listened the words of the sales people and expected to get at least a basic monitoring for the licensed physical hosts (Veeam B&R agent is installed there) - but unfortunately it doesn't look like this.
Furthermore, my own research for Veeam One V12 doesn't turn my face to smile, no improvement regarding physical hosts found there.
Even when IT-world is growing into cloud, and I wouldn't ask for a full set of predefined alarm settings for physical hosts in Veeam One, but some resource metering and event monitoring with the help of Veeam One's framework would be helpful for many customers.
Meanwhile, the Marketing people at Veeam should re-sharpen their slogan: "Powerful Monitoring & Analytics for your IT environment" - except physical.
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 164 times

Post by RomanK »

Hello Markus.

Veeam ONE is able to monitor Veeam Agent jobs and policies but only from agents that are managed by Veeam Backup & Replication.

There are no short-term plans to direct Veeam Agent or in-guest monitoring. The main focus is still monitoring through Veeam Backup & Replication.

However, it would be interesting to know what data you wanted to get from physical hosts. How many physical hosts in the infrastructure need such monitoring? Do they all have Veeam Agent installed?

Thanks
Markus M.
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times

Post by Markus M. »

Hello Roman,

The environment here is rather small - I am responsible for about 20 phys. hosts, 1/3 of them are Hyper-V Hosts (cluster nodes) which are nicely covered from monitoring perspective in Veeam One.
For all other hosts (all Windows Server 2019) it would be helpful to get at least the same perfmon information I have when watching into i.e. a standalone Hyper-V host.
And as mentioned before, I wouldn't expect a fully fledged, pre-configured alarm rule set for these hosts like its existent for Hyper-V already, but the ability to configure own policies - let's say when a NIC driver reports an error in system log etc. This would avoid the effort running another monitoring tool beside Veeam One.
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 164 times

Post by RomanK » 1 person likes this post

Hello Markus

I got your point. In general, the Veeam ONE is a product for monitoring virtual and data protection environments. Virtualization hosts have APIs to which Veeam ONE is able to connect and get all information. While monitoring standalone hosts would require some in-guest agent which would collect the data inside and send it to the server. But as I mentioned in a previous post, no plans for that at the moment, and I cannot promise anything right now.

In any way, thanks for the feedback