Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Daniel2
Enthusiast
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Daniel

Quality of Veeam support is lacking these days

Post by Daniel2 » 12 people like this post

I'm having a lot of complex issues with Veeam this year. One major change is the implementation of a tertiary backup data location on S3 object storage, which is one aspect that created issues for us.

The reason I write in this forums is because for most tickets I created this year, I was asked to
  • Wipe the backup repository
  • Create a new backup chain
  • Clone the job
  • Do troubleshooting steps that I already did.
These kind of "solutions" are not satisfying. We have 90 TB of backup data, spread across three locations.
  • I can't just wipe a backup repository, because this creates a risk in the company. We don't have three backup locations so we can randomly wipe one of them. We have them to minimise risk. If we wipe one, then the risk goes up.
  • I can't just create a new backup chain. That would essentially double the storage consumption. It also doubles cost. Especially, when an S3 object storage with a 90 day immutability is involved.
  • I can't clone the job because it creates new backup chains. Also, please fix the jobs we have.
  • Please start reading the email history, before you recommend something, that your colleague already recommended to me yesterday. This wastes precious time in which we can do constructive troubleshooting with new results.
My first expectation to a support engineer that they don't even ask these questions. And I'm tired of saying "no" to these requests. I really do want these issues to be resolved quickly, too. But it is just not so easy when we have to comply to certain policies, also with so much data.

My second expectation is that a support technician does not suggest troubleshooting steps, that we already did. Just in the current ticket I'm working I've been asked to delete the ArchiveIndex folder and rescan the SOBR. Due to the sheer size of the S3 bucket, this step took 3-4 hours (including rescan/reindex time and log collection and uploading). This means, that for any day, this will be the only troubleshooting that we'll do. When this didn't solve the problem, the same engineer sent me a KB that instructed me to do the same thing, but had just a single more step in the whole process. So why did he not send me this KB immediately? An entire day wasted. Friday and Monday, no response. Today a colleague took over, and he asked me to do the same thing again. But he didn't send me the KB, but instead wrote me what to do in three sentenced, and missed out on several steps that the KB deemed necessary. If he would have looked at the ticket history, he would have seen that we already did that twice. And he already has the logs that I sent after completeing both steps. Time wasted again.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1400 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Quality of Veeam support is lacking these days

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

I have contacted support management and they will reach out soon. Investigating your case.
david.domask
VeeaMVP
Liked: 277 times

Post by david.domask » 1 person likes this post

Hi @Daniel2,

I'd be very interested if you could post one or two of the case numbers for me to review. I tried sending you a PM, but seems there's an issue with sending it.

The above of course is not what we expect from support at all; while I can imagine some situations when a backup chain is maybe irrecoverable, a complete repository wipe usually would need an exceptional circumstance, so I'd like to review your case history and check the situation a bit more deeply.
David Domask | Director: Customer Care | Veeam Technical Support
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1400 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

@David I will send you internal note with a list.
darren.poyner
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Darren Poyner

Post by darren.poyner » 3 people like this post

Yeah, same, for offload to S3 (specifically, network traffic rules).
I raised a 'deficiency' in the product and was told 'read the manual'.
I was so disappointed, I did not even know how to reply. I've read the manual.
What made it worse was that it signed / signature by a team leader.
It was replies from support like this that I ditched Acronis.
RossFawcett
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ross Fawcett

Post by RossFawcett » 2 people like this post

Daniel2 wrote: May 24, 2022 2:59 pm I'm having a lot of complex issues with Veeam this year. One major change is the implementation of a tertiary backup data location on S3 object storage, which is one aspect that created issues for us.

The reason I write in this forums is because for most tickets I created this year, I was asked to
  • Wipe the backup repository
  • Create a new backup chain
  • Clone the job
  • Do troubleshooting steps that I already did.
These kind of "solutions" are not satisfying. We have 90 TB of backup data, spread across three locations.
  • I can't just wipe a backup repository, because this creates a risk in the company. We don't have three backup locations so we can randomly wipe one of them. We have them to minimise risk. If we wipe one, then the risk goes up.
  • I can't just create a new backup chain. That would essentially double the storage consumption. It also doubles cost. Especially, when an S3 object storage with a 90 day immutability is involved.
  • I can't clone the job because it creates new backup chains. Also, please fix the jobs we have.
  • Please start reading the email history, before you recommend something, that your colleague already recommended to me yesterday. This wastes precious time in which we can do constructive troubleshooting with new results.
My first expectation to a support engineer that they don't even ask these questions. And I'm tired of saying "no" to these requests. I really do want these issues to be resolved quickly, too. But it is just not so easy when we have to comply to certain policies, also with so much data.

My second expectation is that a support technician does not suggest troubleshooting steps, that we already did. Just in the current ticket I'm working I've been asked to delete the ArchiveIndex folder and rescan the SOBR. Due to the sheer size of the S3 bucket, this step took 3-4 hours (including rescan/reindex time and log collection and uploading). This means, that for any day, this will be the only troubleshooting that we'll do. When this didn't solve the problem, the same engineer sent me a KB that instructed me to do the same thing, but had just a single more step in the whole process. So why did he not send me this KB immediately? An entire day wasted. Friday and Monday, no response. Today a colleague took over, and he asked me to do the same thing again. But he didn't send me the KB, but instead wrote me what to do in three sentenced, and missed out on several steps that the KB deemed necessary. If he would have looked at the ticket history, he would have seen that we already did that twice. And he already has the logs that I sent after completeing both steps. Time wasted again.
Well that's a bit dejavu, as we were discussing the same support issues internally today. And it is very similar to the support experiences we have had recently.

Especially the knowledge aspect, having to explain (and prove) to a Veeam engineer how certain parts of Veeam work before actually getting on with real troubleshooting, in this case in relation to how backup copy increments can show as incomplete, but not actually be "corrupt", as it's simply not finished within the copy cycle. Or more recently, blindly being told to apply a cumulative update for Windows, because the Veeam KB said so, except that the CU is from 2018, so it literally can't be applied, nor was the KB actually related to our issue, I mean it was related in the sense that it was about iSCSI, but that's about as much as it had in common.

It's pretty frustrating, and while it eventually gets there, you lose days of time before you got to a point of actually investigating it properly.
Butha
Enthusiast
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Butha van der Merwe

Post by Butha » 4 people like this post

I cannot agree more. To be fair, over the last 5 years, support for more complex issues has always been a bit difficult. The difference is that you were escalated up the chain to the good senior engineers much quicker - these days weeks go by and the same bullet point first line questions and old KB's from years ago are sent as replies -not solutions - just replies. (I'm not kidding but my current case had a support ticket quoted back to me - which I logged when ESX5.5 was around - 2016!)

I'm a strong supporter of Veeam and always recommend it to anyone who asks. I honestly believe there isn't anything else out there that comes close to the features and functionality it offers - but I always add a small footnote to the recommendation. You will absolutely struggle with support when you have issues and 9/10 times have to figure things out yourself. You'll have to participate in forums and get really good at searching them. The amount of times I had to find information on this forum in stead of from an engineer, a manual or a best practice guide is countless. We always joke about it - "remember to go google around on the forums for answers - don't waste time looking in the user guides" - and the end result? I don't think support has ever solved any difficult issue - you always do yourself.

I'm not bashing the hard working support engineers - they must have a tough job with the speed at which the customer base has grown, and you are definitely not alone in this - many large established IT companies have the same issues (Think VMware, Microsoft, Netapp etc) - support has gone downwards for sure over the last 5 years. Not all people on this forum are experts of course, and there must be thousands of silly first line issues dealt with every day - but I think the issue is there are no distinction made anymore when logging a call.

Maybe there is some really technical Veeam qualification one can pass - so that when you log a complex issue and you spell out the 11 steps already tried, how many years you have been doing this, AND that you have some official method of proving this - you'll be bumped to a different queue where the "difficult" issues are handled and not waste weeks with emails backwards and forwards first. It will save an immense amount of frustration on the clients side.

Yes I also currently have a call open for more than a month already (some of the time is because of changes I'm making in the process of solving it myself - and they take days) - yes the call is also complex - and yes, most of the usual things were checked BEFORE logging the call. Got given the runaround for weeks as well, and refused to spend hours searching on public forums for answers again (why do we pay for support?) - but eventually had to as it was going nowhere. Immediately found 3 things to try - fairly obvious but not one of them recommended and not one mentioned in user guides or BP Docs - and via a slow process starting to solve it myself again. I've given all the steps and procedures through to the engineers as I believe it sharing knowledge to help others - but instead of a " that's good to know - we'll test the same on our side" -I get "should not make any difference" although it absolutely does. Also then asked to change things -re-run jobs to generate logs - with no understanding how this affects things our side. (Large 10TB job with 1x SQL CLuster in it - part of around 200TB of replication jobs running every day) - so there seems to be a disconnect. You are given the impression that you have to prove to Veeam what you are saying first, they don't trust what you are saying.

Maybe the covid pandemic has something to do with it when all support started to work in isolation remotely (unless this was the case before?) - maybe the growth required so many new support staff that the pool of really good ones with years of experience simply doesn't handle these calls anymore, might even have moved into a non support role over time - but whatever the reason, there is room for improvement for difficult cases absolutely.

After watching most of the interesting V12 things on VeeamOn coming out the next few months I'm excited about them, but for the first time in 10 years a as a customer I'm considering waiting at least 6 months and 2x "service packs" before upgrading. I used to be one of the first to jump on the new "cool stuff" -but the uphill battle with support gives me pause. It's a shame as thousands of hours have gone into getting these features done, but we honestly cannot risk things going wrong (which absolutely they will when upgrading to V12) - and having to deal with support for weeks on it. The role Veeam plays in our org is just to important to not have it working 100%.
Daniel2
Enthusiast
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Daniel

Post by Daniel2 »

Hi David,

I received your PMs. There was a bank holiday, which is why I only respond today. Here are three recent tickets that caused a lot of frustration, wasted time and data loss.

Case #05437426
This is the ticket I'm currently working with your engineers. I already described the issues I have with it in my initial post.

Case #05407073
This ticket was open from 26 April until 6 May. The "Login with Microsoft" button was missing from my.veeam.com. There was completely needless back-and-forth for almost a week that could have been completely avoided if your engineer would have simply opened my.veeam.com in her browser on day one.

Case #05378354
Fairly complex case. Your engineers did everything to close this case quickly (instead of finding the root cause, so this didn't happen yet again), and in the process instructed me to do something that lead to a corrupted backup chain. We were on a phone call when she instructed to delete some files manually and I asked her three times if she is sure that this does not lead to a corrupted backup chain. She assured it wouldn't, and the it lead to a corrupted backup chain. This was also one of the most frustrating tickets I ever opened, as I had to press your engineers multiple times to do a proper root cause analysis if the issue, because it wasn't the first time something similar happened in our environment. This ticket eventually lead to nowhere and I decided after one and a half months to just wipe the affected backup repository entirely, because it severely affected our infrastructure because the repository failed entirely and no backups could be moved to it. I also created a forum post talking about this issue.
david.domask
VeeaMVP

Post by david.domask » 2 people like this post

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for sharing; I've written to you via email also, I think let's discuss this further a bit as I have some additional directions and attention on the case given the complexity of the issue.

For the rest, your complaints and concerns are heard and definitely this is not the expected behavior -- we do pay high attention to these concerns, and I'd appreciate if you could either:

1. PM me the case numbers for review
2. If you feel there is a concern on the processing of the case, please use the Talk to a Manager button so that the case gets on attention from Support Management: https://www.veeam.com/kb2320 Share as many details as possible please on the concern and we will respond quite promptly and look into it. It's absolutely the best way to get attention on a case where you have concerns about the direction of the case.

Similarly, don't hesitate to ask the Engineers to explain their reasoning further (as I've seen many of you do already, which is good). Indeed, string matching for KB articles is not really valid troubleshooting, we need to actually check that the content is relevant, so such behavior is not accepted.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz » 7 people like this post

To me it's so strange to reade those lines... Not that I don't believe what's written here, but I always had the same experience the other way around - 9 of 10 cases were running perfectly and the 10th case was a bit tricky and not really the engineer's fault... Probably you all had a different support region?? Most of the time I'm having engineers located in St. Petersburg and they are doing very well...
RGijsen
Expert
Liked: 25 times

Post by RGijsen » 3 people like this post

I can certainly agree with the support getting worse. Especially our current ticket is really a pain in the @ss. They keep asking useless things, want us to do things that very obviously don't relate to the issue at all, and they simply don't read well enough, or they just want to buy time. Only after I told them like 6 times the issue was something completely different as they tried to resolve, they came back with 'ah, then I read it wrong'. It's extremely tedious, and it's a bit like MS support, which usually also is as useful as a solar powered torch. I'm now in T3 with my ticket. Our particular issue is that copy jobs take a huge time before they actually start copying data. They do some disk activity, and then there is an our and a half of a 1mbps data stream from remote to source site. And then it starts copying data at line speed. And now I have to make a TCP dump from that WHOLE thing, which will generate an extreme amount of logs, because support tells me they don't know WHAT data is sent from remote to source?! That's the thing I have issues with; support people that don't know their product, and simply bullying the paying customer with stupid log generation of thing that should be obvious to support.
Now I know sometimes things are more complex than they seem to be, and mostly I do as support asks, just to confirm my own thoughts mostly, but still it's going downhill fast.
ITP-Stan
Service Provider
Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Stan (IF-IT4U)

Post by ITP-Stan »

I do wonder if the support staff that worked from Russia is still on the job, because of the war and with Veeam now being owned by U.S. based investor company.
ChrisGundry
Veteran
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

Post by ChrisGundry » 4 people like this post

I have been saying the same thing for the last few years unforunately. I still feel Veeam is a great product and has great features, but some things just don't work properly sometimes and when you raise it with support you either get answers like you did about basically resetting jobs/repos etc which is impractical, or you get 'it's working as intended'.

RGijsen is right, support that don't know the product intimately is what the problem feels like most of the time.

I have been refered to a customer success manager or something a few times, who generally kicks support into touch, for that one ticket, but then next time we start all over again! :(
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 282 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor » 3 people like this post

mcz wrote: May 30, 2022 7:14 am To me it's so strange to reade those lines... Not that I don't believe what's written here, but I always had the same experience the other way around - 9 of 10 cases were running perfectly and the 10th case was a bit tricky and not really the engineer's fault... Probably you all had a different support region?? Most of the time I'm having engineers located in St. Petersburg and they are doing very well...
Same goes for me. I'm also suspecting that it may be a regional thing, because our tickets in central EMEA always work out very well; though I can't say where the support agents were located. Looking at the topics at Reddit, for example, I have the feeling that the support problems are more often located in US/AMERICAS region.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli » 3 people like this post

Support quality getting worse is a widespread issue: Veeam, Microsoft, Dell, most of Vendors are squeezing money from customers to stakeholders, depleting value from Software / Hardware / Support. I'm getting very tired working in IT.

I'm 42 years old but I plan to be out of this IT world by 50

Marco
david.domask
VeeaMVP

@RGijsen, can you PM me your ticket number? I'd like to check the case since it should be pretty well documented what's being sent and I'd like to check the Engineers that handled the issue initially.

@m.novelli I'd be curious if you could share a few of the cases you had concerns on in a PM also.
jvlad
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jason

Post by jvlad » 1 person likes this post

I can 2nd the issue with lack of support lately. Opened a critical down ticket as it had to do with our OracleDB server, and got an email that someone took ownership of the case but that was it and did not hear anything else back for numerous days. I ended up recreating the backup from scratch my self at this point i was interested to see how long until they contact me back on this critical down ticket. In the end i contacted them back just to say W.T.Fork guys on a critical down ticket which was the 1st time i opened a ticket as critical down.
Since they made their support changes where you need to open a ticket online prior to calling, i notice quality of support going down and Veeam just like Cisco in my opinion anyway use to have 1st class support. I guess like the saying goes "All good things come to an end eventually".
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli » 3 people like this post

The nice fact is that Veeam is squeezing money out of customers with "Production Support h24"

I'm working with Veeam Backup since v4 and I never needed to open a ticket outside working hours and with high priority... out of 60+ customers

Most of them run on the free Edition, that "Just works". What I've learned in many years is to use only the basic and rock solid features of Veeam / VMware / Microsoft / Dell Storage / Dell Networking and don't push software to limits with uncommon or complex configuration. Keep it easy.

What I really dislike are some changes "by design" that broke what previously was working. If I remember correctly Veeam v11 something changed in engine and since that most of my Backup Copy Job to removable RDX cartridges started to be super slow and fail here and there. Change by design, thanks

Same issue with Microsoft when they change some Microsoft 365 API and Veeam Backup for Office 365 start to fail...

Or VMware when introduced the web GUI on ESXi that is hard to use with the disappearing menu... try to use it on iPad from home, during the night or weekend when I'm doing migration or maintenance.

Sorry for Off Topic, I'm really disappointed with latest years on IT

Marco
CaliMSP
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

Post by CaliMSP » 3 people like this post

I can't agree more! Compared to support back in the day when the company was smaller, the quality of support led me to using it less and less. These days, the support from my viewpoint as a customer looks like this:

1) Responses appear canned most of the time
-- provide logs (sure, that can be helpful)
-- create a new chain (not helpful)
-- check this or that setting
-- links to documentation or KB that was already read 3 times and contains no helpful information
2) Regardless of the level of urgency you set in a ticket, they take longer than the indicated response time.
3) Support techs responding to the ticket switch all the time and go over the same steps, take extra time to figure out what's going on etc.
4) Tickets auto-close without a proper follow up, even though sometimes it's not possible to perform a step support is asking for in a short period of time (this is backups after-all, they are critical)
5) It seems that Tier One doesn't really know the product as well as some customers and while they can point to a particular setting, they don't understand how several settings actually build on each other and what the total effect may be.
6) They always seem to want to work over ticket/email, much more rare over the phone and never (in my experience) actually looking at the system/console remotely via screen-sharing. A week of back and forth could be often saved by just looking at what we are asking you to look at so that you understand what we are seeing and don't ask to go over the same basic steps.

My overall experience is less than satisfactory. It feels like Tier One tries to burry you in canned suggestions until you either give up, show enough persistence where they escalate or actually start digging into it.. At the end of the day OUR OWN engineers end up solving problems after spending hours or days searching online for a rare mention by someone else with a hint towards a possible solution. It's much more likely that we will find a helpful piece of information either in these forums or on Reddit, where Anton or someone else with really deep knowledge of the product posted months if not years ago. At the end we have two internal engineers with lots of veeam experience that we rely on heavily for support than on actual Veeam support.

We run a tiered support center as well and our Tier One are much more helpful and useful compared to Veeam. In order to keep ourselves accountable we also provide a single click (or expended) feedback mechanism so that clients can tell us if they are happy with progress or resolution. It would be good for Veeam to implement it as well and get a sense of what your average customer thinks about customer support.

If this response feels a bit "rant-y", that's because this has been boiling up for a while. I was thinking of starting a similar thread myself, but honestly didn't feel that any real change would come form it, so I didn't.
TT-DL
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Daniel L

Post by TT-DL »

No comment on the specific issue you have - the headline got my attention though. "Quality of Veeam support is lacking these days" - I second this entirely. Recently had cause to open some support cases I said to my staff member " Veeam is the gold standard for support" Once you are finished dealing with them, I want you to replicate that moving forward. Man did I have to eat my words. The support has gone to absolute garbage. They have gone from the gold standard to to ticket closing no brains.

I note Veeam was purchased by private equity in Jan 2020 and as I feared it would be the end of a great company, sadly it seems its now flowing through in my opinion. Support seems like it was on the chopping block so they can drive profit up for an IPO on the NASDAQ or similar. I cant see Veeam getting better any time soon. Sadly it seems like its best days may be in the rear view mirror.
david.domask
VeeaMVP

Hi @TT-DL, if possible, I'd really like to see the case. Please PM it to me.

@CaliMSP, for quite a few of your points regarding what should be done, _it's already in place_ ;) https://www.veeam.com/kb2320. I get it's probably coming from a point of frustration, but I just want to be clear we have these options already. After all cases, you also get a survey, and my team scrutinizes these pretty harshly when determining if the Engineer was up to standards or not, but step 1 is fill out the survey :) Please, if possible, PM the cases.

The majority of the concerns you mentioned CaliMSP in fact are explicitly against our processing standards, so if it's persistently happening, I want to see the cases.

All, again please remember to report such cases with the Talk to a Manager button: https://www.veeam.com/kb2320

There are options; cases can go south for many reasons, but you don't have to just deal with it, we really are eager to hear about these things.
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com »

I will simply add that I've experienced similar issues with support this year. One case opened for SIX MONTHS to simply confirm that what I said when the case was opened was true. They acknowledged a bug but no timeframe for a fix.
dloseke
Service Provider
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Derek M. Loseke

Post by dloseke » 1 person likes this post

Butha wrote: May 30, 2022 5:41 am I'm a strong supporter of Veeam and always recommend it to anyone who asks. I honestly believe there isn't anything else out there that comes close to the features and functionality it offers - but I always add a small footnote to the recommendation. You will absolutely struggle with support when you have issues and 9/10 times have to figure things out yourself. You'll have to participate in forums and get really good at searching them. The amount of times I had to find information on this forum in stead of from an engineer, a manual or a best practice guide is countless. We always joke about it - "remember to go google around on the forums for answers - don't waste time looking in the user guides" - and the end result? I don't think support has ever solved any difficult issue - you always do yourself.
I agree with your sentiment on the quality of the Veeam products. And.....the only other backup product I've ever needed to contact support for was Symantec/Veritas NetBackup. Support was abysmal, and again, they did not find me the fix, but they did lead me down the road to where I found the fix on my own. I guess that's a win, but not really the way that it's SUPPOSED to be. I'd still much rather be in the Veeam camp all around.
Derek M. Loseke, Senior Systems Engineer | Veeam Legend 2022-2023 | VMSP/VMTSP | VCP6-DCV | VSP/VTSP | CCNA | https://technotesanddadjokes.com | @dloseke
dloseke
Service Provider
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Derek M. Loseke

Post by dloseke » 3 people like this post

m.novelli wrote: May 30, 2022 4:19 pm I'm working with Veeam Backup since v4 and I never needed to open a ticket outside working hours and with high priority... out of 60+ customers

Most of them run on the free Edition, that "Just works".
Just wanted to make sure you're not using Community Edition on clients as that would be a violation of the EULA. Not trying to target you, but some folks aren't aware of that caveat. If they downloaded and installed it themselves, and are managing their backups, that that's legal. If you are installing it to facilitate and manage their backups, that's not legal and purchased/rented licensing should be utlized.

Section 4: https://www.veeam.com/eula.html
4.0 Free Licenses and Community Edition Licenses. Free and Community Edition License products can be used in Your own production environment and only by You in accordance with the terms and conditions of this EULA and the Licensing Policy. You may not use the Free and Community Edition Licenses to provide services to third parties (including support and consulting services for existing Free and Community Edition License installations) or to process third party data.
Derek M. Loseke, Senior Systems Engineer | Veeam Legend 2022-2023 | VMSP/VMTSP | VCP6-DCV | VSP/VTSP | CCNA | https://technotesanddadjokes.com | @dloseke
david.domask
VeeaMVP

Hi all,

The concerns are absolutely heard, and I would really like to be able to check out some of the cases and discuss these with you at greater length. So far, only RGijsen and Daniel2 have updated me though. (and thank you both for this!)

Our goal is always a mutually agreeable solution for all parties on the case, whether it's pointing towards an infrastructure issue or a Veeam configuration issue or an actual product issue to be investigated.

Most importantly, I want you feeling like the case was worth it, and to let us know (with the Talk to a Manager or post-case survey) when it's not. Every survey gets checked, every request to management is responded to and the case is checked.

For those of you in this thread, feel free to PM me and we'll discuss these concerns.

If you have active cases you're concerned on, don't hesitate to use the Talk to a Manager button from the case portal: https://www.veeam.com/kb2320
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Post by Zew » 4 people like this post

I have to give the team a pat on the back, while it is sad sometimes you don't get a good tier one support personal. From my personal experience Veeam support is #1.

compared to VMware/Microsoft/Google/Amazon support. Veeam usually rocks it, even if the first couple triagers don't get it, I generally get a tech who truly understands the product.

I won't disagree on the forms being a great resource for help, but when the forms fail, the mix of forms and working with support (which is exactly what you are getting here from reading the posts) is amazing!

Thank you Veeam Support for your amazing work.
ksimon
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Ken Simon

Post by ksimon »

<rant>
I agree.
Very frustrating.

I was also someone who had a great deal of respect for Veeam support.

Case #05454302

Was getting the "every second day or so" treatment until I used the "Talk to a Manager" button and someone is working on it.

I am re-uploading logs now.

Case opened May 25
1st contact from Veeam other than the automatic email. May 25 (after hours) Asked me to reboot something.
2nd contact from Veeam May 29. On the weekend. Sloppy, with incorrect IP addresses.
-I asked specific questions after this message. They were never answered.
3rd contact from Veeam May 31 after I reached out to manager.

Each of these contacts was from a different tech.
I sent multiple updates, with things that we attempted. And additional logs. At least one per work day. They do not get acknowledged.

When I open a support ticket for an issue with business software, it means that I have personally spent at least a couple of hours diagnosing and testing to ensure that I have the correct information and have tried the job multiple times. I have also spent time attempting to ensure the support request has as much information as possible. And I upload logs.
I do not know why I do that. </rant>
david.domask
VeeaMVP

Post by david.domask »

Hi Ken,

Thank you for sharing the case; indeed, there was some mistake in the assignment process here and getting to a tech took far too long; I have checked the case logs and unfortunately I have to agree it looks like we might be looking at the wrong direction -- I'll update the engineer and also look at potentially aligning a more senior resource on this one. I think the other errors (somewhat common for HyperV but not blockers) are causing some confusion.
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 172 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz » 7 people like this post

Hi David,

it's a little bit off-topic but I just wannted to say "thank you" for what you're doing for us customers! I think it's nice if someone says "yes, we will learn from it" but actively looking at cases and changing the direction while they're going on is what makes the difference.

Some months ago you've helped me in a quite severe situation and I got reminded when I've read those lines, so many thanks again for your great work!
david.domask
VeeaMVP

Post by david.domask » 4 people like this post

Thank you so much for the kind words Michael!

We really do try, and I'm not ashamed to admit when we have faults and will gladly own them, but more importantly, I want to fix them :) So the cases are invaluable for me to be able to check and make the corrections when we do need to.