Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
citation79
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Teo

Network not working at recovery site

Post by citation79 »

Hi guys, I am replicating my infrastructure to an offsite location. The local network is 192.168.2.0/24 with a gateway of 192.168.2.10 (Sonicwall firewall)
On my remote site I also have a software firewall with the same gateway IP of 192.168.2.10 (pFSense firewall with same network settings)
For some reason when I turn on the VM at the remote site, DNS doesn't work and the gateway 192.168.2.10 is not accesible either.
The IP address is kept the same on local site and remote site but I haven't been able to get the remote site to work with the offsite firewall to have internet access, etc.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?
On my replication job I am specifying source network on VMware and destination network on the remote site VMware as well so I don't know what am I missing.
Only thing I see is that both networks have a name of "VM Network" on the main site and remote site.

Teo
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Network not working at recovery site

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.
and the gateway 192.168.2.10 is not accesible either.
that's the first thing, that needs to be resolved.

Which troubleshooting steps did you already do?
Can other machines in the "VM network" reach the pFSense?
Only thing I see is that both networks have a name of "VM Network" on the main site and remote site.
hmm, how does that work? If there is a transparent layer2 between two locations, then there would be an IP address collision between Sonicwall and pFSense.

Would it be possible to get a network diagram (picture) including ESXi and VCenter(s)? I guess it's a network design issue independent from Veeam.

Best regards,
Hannes
citation79
Novice

Post by citation79 »

Hi Hannes,

The recovery site is on a cloud provider. Basically it's a VMware environment with a PFSense firewall that has the same gateway address as the Sonicwall on the primary site.
The remote site is not visible by the local site, it's a cloud server with all VMs replicating there and with a PFSense firewall to just route traffic to the internet.
The VM Network name is used on both the local site and remote site even when they are not seeing each other, it was just an observation but they should not collide with one another.

If I try to ping the PfSense firewall when I turn on the replica, it never replies, even when it's on the same network and the IP address is on the same range of the gateway.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
it's a cloud server with all VMs replicating there
hmm okay, how is that working? Is it Veeam Cloud Connect Replication?

The network name in VMware should be irrelevant in general. It's about the VLAN and how the layer 2 looks like in the first place.

Best regards,
Hannes
citation79
Novice

Post by citation79 »

Hi it's just a normal replication to a remote site running another esxi host with a public IP opened up to our office IP.
Not using cloud connect,etc.
And all VMs replicated are on the same host each with the interface on the same network. Even if there is no VLAN declared they should see each other right?
They see each other but not the PFsense which is the only VM already on at the recovery site with the same IP as the Sonicwall. I wanted to keep the same IP just to give those VMs immediate access to the internet if they need to be powered on but it's not happening.
It's just a plain network, no VLANs declared at the remote site, etc.

Teo
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

They see each other but not the PFsense
if two machines are in the same network, then they must be able to reach each other. as you say that your machines see each other, there must be something wrong with the connection to PFsense. That sounds like a network issue the provider has to solve (independent from Veeam)