Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
mcdaniels
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Backing up physical Server 2016 fails The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed - device is not ready

Post by mcdaniels »

Hi,
as I (lately) discovered, that we can also backup physical windows servers with our Veeam B&R license, I started rolling out these kind of backups.

I successfully did a backup job (full machine) on our physical domaincontroller, but I am struggeling when I try to back up the physical Veeam server itself, which is also the backupdestionation for backupfiles and the veeam proxy.

We use Veeam B&R Version 10 (10.0.0.4461 P2)

What I did:
I installed the Veeam_Backup Agent by adding the Server to the physical Infrastructure (protection) group.
This deployed the Agent Version 4.0.0.1811 to the Server
Driver Version is: CT Driver(1.0.0.04342)

When I now create a Backup the backup-job fails with:

Code: Select all

Error: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [0]. Failed to download disk '21a290f2-ff68-4f1e-afc0-dedb676f72ac'.

The backupjob itself is configured like:
Job Mode: Server
Protected computer: Our physical Backupserver
Data to backup: Volume Level Backup (I cannot use entire computer, cause this would backup the backup-repo also which is situated on drive D: of the same physical server
Objects (Volumes) to backup: Operating System
Secondary Destination: Backup copy job
Applicaton aware processing enabled

Perhaps you can give me a push in the right direction.
Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backing up physical Server 2016 fails The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed - device is not re

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
for the error, please contact support if you want to research it. I would go a different way to avoid chicken / egg issues.

Please note that restoring from a VBR managed backup requires a working VBR at restore. So to avoid that, I suggest to use the standalone free edition of Veeam Agent for Windows and let it back up to whatever place.

Best regards,
Hannes
mcdaniels
Enthusiast

Re: Backing up physical Server 2016 fails The device is not ready. Asynchronous read operation failed - device is not re

Post by mcdaniels »

Hi,
so you mean I should also start the backup of the backupserver from another PC/Server via the free edition of the agent?

Best regards,
Daniel
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
from another PC/Server
no, I mean to install the free agent standalone (next, next, finish setup wizard) on the backup server and back up to a destination that makes sense

Best regards,
Hannes
mcdaniels
Enthusiast

Post by mcdaniels »

Hi,
ok, I ll give it a try. (I thought installing the stand alone agent might interfere with the installation of Veeam B&R.)

Thanks a lot!
mcdaniels
Enthusiast

Post by mcdaniels »

Hi,
hadn't the time to check it out till now. Tried to install the free Agent for windows on the Veeam Backupserver. (downloaded it)

Got the Error: Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows cannot be configured because it is managed by your system administrator.

Installed components are:
Veeam Backup Transport
Veeam Agent for Linux Redistributable
Veeam Agent for Windows Redistributable
Veeam Backup vPowerNFS
Veeam Mount Service
Veeam Backup VSS Integration
Veeam Backup & Replication
Veeam Installer Service

Any hints on this?

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

I know that customers back up their backup servers with agents. Hard to say what the reason is... I can only refer to support (and recommend updating the the latest version first).