Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
mark49808
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Can NAS backup "keep previous file versions for" to AWS S3 be immutable?

Post by mark49808 »

Its unclear if this is supported.

I define the AWS S3 bucket and am presented with a choice: "Make recent backups immutable for X days"

I can then point a file share backup job to that bucket "Keep previous file versions for X months" which suggested object storage, and I can select the above S3 bucket which has immutability / object lock enabled.

But i see reference on the forums that immutability for NAS backups is not supported (but maybe thats only a linux immutable repo). Is it valid for this Archive use case though?

Understood v12 might be changing this.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Can NAS backup "keep previous file versions for" to AWS S3 be immutable?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
correct, NAS backup supports immutability only in V12. No support for immutability anywhere in V11.

Best regards,
Hannes
mark49808
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Post by mark49808 »

This presents an interesting challenge then.

1) Veeam seemingly allows you to set the destination for NAS backups "Keep previous file versions for X months" (Archive Repository) to a bucket with immutability enabled (see my steps above). Seems this should be checked/blocked? What happens If i accidentally do this? Because I have.

And

2) If I set up a bucket on the AWS side with Object Lock simply enabled, Veeam will not let me save the bucket without setting an immutability period.

Seems Veeam considers a bucket with Object Lock enabled to require an immutability period. But that's not the case. You can enable the feature in AWS, but not use it. Why this limitation?

I can work around #2 by setting a bucket to disable object lock, but #1 seems like it needs logic improvement given your prior comment.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Indeed, that's not the case for nas jobs, but all image-level activities currently with v11a support immutability and you can use it with capacity tier. As Hannes mentioned we will allow Amazon S3 object storage with immutability enabled to be used as a target for nas jobs (not only archiver repository but backup repository as well). Thanks!