Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bstamper
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Brian Stamper

Fresh install nothing working

Post by bstamper »

Opened a case (05469033) on this but haven't heard back. Using community edition so far. I did a brand new install of Veeam on a Server 2022 box. Install went fine. I then added my vCenter (7.0.3) that has 4 hosts. 3 of them have shared storage and one of them is standalone with local storage. No matter what I do, across all of the hosts my backups for any machine I try fail with:

Code: Select all

Error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[SAS-Pool-01] 2019-DC/2019-DC.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] ) Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [vCenter7.networkingtechnician.net];Port: 443;Login: [networkingtechnician.net\veeam];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-10005];Snapshot mor: [snapshot-30081];Transports: [nbd];Read Only: [true]] failed because of the following errors: Failed to open disk for read. Failed to upload disk. Skipped arguments: [vddkConnSpec>]; Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

Processing 2019-DC Error: Failed to open VDDK disk [[SAS-Pool-01] 2019-DC/2019-DC.vmdk] ( is read-only mode - [true] ) Logon attempt with parameters [VC/ESX: [vCenter7.networkingtechnician.net];Port: 443;Login: [networkingtechnician.net\veeam];VMX Spec: [moref=vm-10005];Snapshot mor: [snapshot-30081];Transports: [nbd];Read Only: [true]] failed because of the following errors: Failed to open disk for read. Failed to upload disk. Skipped arguments: [vddkConnSpec>]; Agent failed to process method {DataTran
I've alternatively tried removing the vCenter and adding the ESX host direct but get the same error.
bstamper
Novice

Re: Fresh install nothing working

Post by bstamper »

Just realized I hadn't properly tested the host with local storage for backup yet. It appears to be working as the backup job is running and I'm seeing data transfer. So this appears to be some issue with my shared storage for the other 3 hosts. They are using the vmware iSCSI adapter to connect to that storage. All 3 hosts are ESX 7.0.3 just like the one with the standalone local storage that appears to be working.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

We cannot investigate technical issues over forum correspondence, unfortunately. So wait till the support engineer checks the debug logs and find the root cause. Thanks!
bstamper
Novice

Post by bstamper » 1 person likes this post

So, still no response from support but looking through the logs I was able to solve this for myself. My ESX hosts that had shared storage used the iSCSI initiatior with a couple of dedicated vmkernel ports. When looking through the logs I noticed Veeam was trying to reach to the IP of the iscsi vmkernel port for some reason. Have no idea why. I went and removed all the services from the ESX hosts on those vmkernel ports being they are just used for iSCSI and sure enough after that it started working.
gtelnet
Service Provider
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: GregT

Re: Another Resolution for Failed to open disk for read. Failed to upload disk. Skipped arguments: [vddkConnSpec>]

Post by gtelnet »

Posting our resolution here as this forum post was the first google hit for search term:
Veeam "Failed to open disk for read." "Failed to upload disk. Skipped arguments: [vddkConnSpec>]".
In our case, it turned out to be an issue with the customer's vCenter 7.x

Troubleshooting/resolution steps performed:
  • Compared the backup job that failed to a working backup job and confirmed that repository/proxy settings were identical
  • Confirmed that the guest server failing to backup was on same host as servers in the working backup
  • Since both jobs are configured the same, the guests are on the same host, and the second job works fine, this seems to rule out any DNS/routing/firewall issues, as those would likely affect both jobs
  • Tried to migrate the guest server (that backup was failing for) to a different host, to see if that would help (it's resolved other issues in the past), but the Migrate option for the server was greyed out
  • Followed steps in that link for the vm-xx failing backup, retried backup and it ran successfully
  • Migrate was now available in vCenter, but did not need to migrate the guest server to resolve the issue
Regards,
GregT
https://ContinuityCenters.com