Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dhayes16
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Dave Hayes

Exchange Backup question - Corrupt Mailboxes

Post by dhayes16 »

Hello. I have a question about backing up an Exchange VM and wanted to make sure I was seeing things properly. We have an exchange 2016 VM running under Hyper-V. Everything has been running fine backing up the exchange VM. However, we had a recent major issue with the primary VM and needed to spin up a new exchange server VM and restore the mailboxes to the new VM exchange database. What I discovered was that the reason the original database crashed hard was because there were some corrupt mailboxes in the store and it would not mount. Even after eseutil /p (not recommended) it will would not mount (although it reports clean). So I went to restore all the mailboxes to the new VM and discovered that the corrupt mailboxes were not available to restore. If an exchange database has corrupt mailbox in the database will veeam *silently* skip them? The users were working fine on their mailboxes the day up to the crash so I am not sure how they were able to use those mailboxes and have Veeam skip the mailboxes during the backup.

Does this sound right? And if so is there any way to get Veeam to report if mailboxes are being skipped? We lost 4 mailboxes and are hoping to do an OST to PST migration (although one of them is a mac).

Thanks for any insight!
Dave
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Exchange Backup question - Corrupt Mailboxes

Post by veremin »

Does not seem right that particular mailboxes are silently skipped from processing. Do you mind brining this issue to the support team for detailed investigation? We will require debugs logs and potentially access to your infrastructure to find the root cause. Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Veeam does not skip any mailboxes, Exchange database is protected entirely and the backup contains all mailboxes that existed in database at the moment of backup. As Vladimir said, you should ask our support team to find out why some of the mailboxes are not available during restore. Once we understand the reason, we can say whether we can teach Veeam somehow to report about such problematic mailboxes during backup or not. Please share a support case ID for our reference.

Thanks!
dhayes16
Service Provider

Post by dhayes16 »

Thank you very much...I will grab all the info and upload debug logs and such. It is very odd....I will open a ticket and post back here

Thank for your feedback!
dhayes16
Service Provider

Post by dhayes16 » 2 people like this post

Now this will sound very odd. So the Veeam explorer for Exchange server did not show the (4) mailboxes to restore...So we assumed they were gone. They are definitely not there. BUT when all the other mailboxes finished the restore process the (4) mailboxes were restored. Now that is very bizzare. Almost like those mailboxes were somehow "included" or "nested" in with the other mailboxes.

I know..Weird. But the (4) boxes have been restored...Not sure how.

I will open a ticket on this but we are up and running. Veeam saved the day...Again!