Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
dejan.ilic@liu.se
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Dejan Ilic

AWS Snowball edge is not costeffective for seeding?

Post by dejan.ilic@liu.se »

We are about to start using AWS S3 with Object Lock and need to transfer around 250TB of data in the initial round.
I was considering using AWS Snowball edge, but a note in its pricing made me consider if it is even more expensive then just sending it over thru regular network as we have a fairly fast network connection (5Gb/s) and no outgoing charges, so the transfer time (less than a week) or network costs are not calculated here.

The note is worded this way on AWS Pricing page, matching Veeam object size as it sends 1Mb or smaller files to the S3 storage.
"Note workloads with millions of small files (less than or equal to 1 MB) can lead to higher Amazon S3 charges (S3 PUT costs for S3 import jobs or S3 GET costs for S3 export jobs)."
https://aws.amazon.com/snowball/pricing/

Can anyone confirm that AWS Snowball Edge transfer incurs corresponding S3 "put" charges when the data is imported to the S3 storage?
That would be a dealbreaker for using AWS Snowball Edge in our case
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: AWS Snowball edge is not costeffective for seeding?

Post by veremin »

Have you already contacted AWS sales team, as recommended in the referenced article?
Note workloads with millions of small files (less than or equal to 1 MB) can lead to higher Amazon S3 charges (S3 PUT costs for S3 import jobs or S3 GET costs for S3 export jobs).

If this applies to you, AWS Snow Family recommends contacting our Sales team to evaluate your needs. Data storage fees apply and are not included in Snowball pricing. See Amazon S3 pricing page for storage cost details.
Thanks!
dejan.ilic@liu.se
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Dejan Ilic

Post by dejan.ilic@liu.se »

No, I will open a case with the if there is a chance to use a snowball as it is fairly cheaper if only the rent is involved, otherwise its probably not worth the effort going thru to all the loops to use AWS snowball.

But i wanted to ask here first if there was a obvious answer i have missed.
Thank you for the response
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

We have had bunch of users using Snowball as seeding device successfully (support even created instructions regarding how immutable data can be moved via it) and have not heard any complains regarding the resulting solution price. So for more detailed information about costs I think it's better to contact the AWS sales team. Thanks!