Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
jholston
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jared Holston

Offsite Options

Post by jholston »

I've been working on our company's backups for a while now, and I'm honestly sick of fighting AWS S3 object storage.
Is there any alternatives y'all would recommend for easy, offsite backups?

If we decide to stick with AWS, I'll probably contact Veeam support to help me rather than continue to beat my head against a brick wall. But, I'm not attached to AWS. I'll gladly switch to something easier.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. I threw it in the vSphere thread because we're backing up several virtual machines from an on premise vmware esxi server. It may have been better to put this in the object storage thread, so my bad.
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 613 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: Offsite Options

Post by jorgedlcruz » 1 person likes this post

Hello Jared,
There are a lot of other options, you can take a look on the next website, and filter by Object, or Object with Immutability: My recommendation will always be a Service Provider on cases like this, cases where you want to have a hassle free offload backup, and not owning, playing with buckets, etc. yourself, find a local Partner, and ask for pricing: You can always compare both options, usually, Veeam Partners have like 30 days trial for some GB.

Let us know.
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
jholston
Novice

Post by jholston »

Thanks! While I was checking a few of those out, I managed to get it working. It was something silly too. I didn't realize I had to manually do an active full to kick start the process.

That said, I had to stop it temporarily because of an upload bandwidth issue, and now it doesn't want to tier the backup of one of the VMs.
Can Veeam tier preexisting backups? Or can it only do that on creation? I feel like it does, but idk how to make it do it.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Is Capacity Tier meant here? If so, yes it can move and copy existing backups. Speaking about full backup requirement, it might happen that backup chain was still active and therefore could not be moved to Capacity Tier. Thanks!
jholston
Novice

Post by jholston »

Ah, ok. I forgot about the active requirement. It's strange that it was making the backup just fine before I stopped it first though.
What do I do to move my existing backups to capacity tier? Thanks for the help!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

You can wait for a scheduled offload (every 4 hours) or Ctrl+right-click the scale-out backup repository and select "Run Tiering Job Now". Thanks!