Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
rcapone
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Roger Capone

How to Seed a File Backup Copy?

Post by rcapone »

I've searched the documentation and the forums, but haven't been able to find clear directions on how to seed a file share backup copy job to a remote site. I work in a remote office where we have a VBR 11 proxy server. The main VBR 11 server is in our main site. I set up an external USB drive as a 2nd repository on my proxy backup server and configured VM and file share backup copy jobs to write to it. I let it complete the initial backups and then shipped the drive to our main site. They hooked it up to a repository server there and we were able to seed the VM copy jobs easily, but we can't seem to find any way to seed the file share copy jobs. We tried copying the folders to the main repository and rescanning, but doesn't find them. It won't allow an import, since that only appears to work for VM backups. Are we missing something? There are several terabytes of files in the shares, and that's not practical to send over our VPN connection to the main site.
Regards,
Roger
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2880 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: How to Seed a File Backup Copy?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

I did that some time ago and used the following steps:

1. Disable the backup copy job
2. Remove backup copy backup from configuration (backups -> disk -> remove from configuration)
3. Move the backup to a new repo
4. Rescan new repo
5. add new repo to the copy job

I suggest testing with a small dummy job.

Best regards,
Hannes
rcapone
Novice

Post by rcapone »

Hi Hannes,

Thanks for the response. For clarification, is this what you did for a File Share Backup Copy, not a VM Backup Copy? Did you create a new repository and manually copy the files, or did you use an existing repository?

Thanks,
Roger
Regards,
Roger
rcapone
Novice

Post by rcapone » 1 person likes this post

I got it to work! I removed the original file backup copy from the configuration, manually copied the backup files to an existing repository, rescanned the repo, and they were found. I guess the key piece we were missing was removing the old copy job from the config. Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Roger