Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
SmokinJoe
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joe G

Can we talk about tape support in v12?

Post by SmokinJoe »

Hi,

I just watched Dmitry's presentation on the new features of v12 and tape.

Can we talk about it here yet?

I would like to know if I can run VEEAM as a vm and have a physical Linux box as the tape server, proxy and repository?
If so how much Ethernet traffic will be between the VEEAM vm and the Linux box?
Will the Linux box be able to hot add the VMware fiber channel LUNs to do CBT backups via SAN?
If I use NFS stores for VMware on a TrueNAS filer will the Linux proxy/repo be able to talk directory to the NFS or will it have to do hot add via VMware?

Thanks,
Joe
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Can we talk about tape support in v12?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Joe,

Thank you for watching!
I would like to know if I can run VEEAM as a vm and have a physical Linux box as the tape server, proxy and repository?
Yes. However some jobs currently do not support Linux proxies (for example nas backup jobs will still need Windows proxy).
If so how much Ethernet traffic will be between the VEEAM vm and the Linux box?
It depends on the configuration. Generally tape server component acts as a data mover.
Will the Linux box be able to hot add the VMware fiber channel LUNs to do CBT backups via SAN? If I use NFS stores for VMware on a TrueNAS filer will the Linux proxy/repo be able to talk directory to the NFS or will it have to do hot add via VMware?
Please take a look at current limitations for Linux backup proxies here: Requirements and Limitations for Linux Backup Proxy. Hope it helps!
SmokinJoe
Enthusiast
Full Name: Joe G

Post by SmokinJoe »

in the case of TrueNAS filer serving VMDK files to ESX via NFS it can be true the proxy would have direct access to those files. Will the physical proxy be able to tell the VEEAM server to make a snapshot? When I use a virtual VEEAM server and TrueNAS NFS it works right today.
Hirosh
Enthusiast
Full Name: Hirosh Arya

Post by Hirosh »

hi guys,

is v12 available for download and testing?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

You can get the Beta from your local system engineer if you want to test functionality.

Or wait a little bit longer for the release. You may also register for our launch event to get all information about v12:
https://go.veeam.com/v12

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello folks,

v12 is live and you can install and test Linux tape proxies. Happy upgrade and do not forget to sure your feedback with us!