Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SecondCity
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: SC IT Admin

Google Apps Notifcations

Post by SecondCity »

Hello,

We recently migrated to Google Apps and our email notifications are failing when testing them inside Veeam Backup and Replication v5.x. I am unable to use smtp.gmail.com, because Veeam doesn't provide a TLS certificate to pass through SSL authentication. And unfortunately, every time I attempt to use aspmx.l.google.com with port 25, Veeam reports that the connection is being actively refused. I've properly input the email account for SMTP authentication and have successfully tested this with a web server that's also in my environment here, so I'm certain that all the information is being entered correctly.

I've followed all the steps on Google's help page over this, but it still fails to work properly: http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer. ... wer=176600
Additionally, the only other Veeam forum article I can find is this one, which is for a different product and doesn't help at all: http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f ... oogle+apps

Are there any other Google Apps users out there in Veeam land that might be able to help me along my way? I attempted calling Veeam support, but sadly, there's no documentation on their side to help me, so I'm counting on the legion of forum jockeys out there!

Thanks,
John
SecondCity
Enthusiast

Re: Google Apps Notifcations

Post by SecondCity »

Rats. 25 views, no answers. Question: does Veeam 6 allow for TLS encryption of outgoing emails? If so, that effectively solves the issue.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I don't believe that Veeam B&R natively support SSL SMTP in any version, however, there are several workarounds available, probably the easiest is to configure a simple SMTP -> SSMTP proxy. I've never set this up for Veeam, however, I've done this successfully for other legacy email clients (like scanners that email PDF files of scanned documents) using the free and open source stunnel, available at http://www.stunnel.org for both Linux and Windows systems (among others). A simpler, Windows specific option might be SMTP Proxy for GMail and Windows Live Mail available at http://smtpproxy.codeplex.com/.

Both of these solutions work the same way, by simply accepting unencrypted SMTP and communicating with upstream servers via SSL/TLS encrypted SMTP. Pretty easy to setup and very reliable. You could run this directly on the Veeam server, point the Veeam SMTP settings at itself, and it would proxy mail via SSL to Gmail.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Actually, SSL support was added in v6. You can now select the Connect using SSL check box in Options > E-mail Settings > Advanced. Not sure about TLS though... Need to check.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

John, please open a support case and support guys will be able to provide you with the registry key enabling SSL support in VBR v5.

If you have any questions, feel free to post here providing your support case ID. Thanks!
SecondCity
Enthusiast

Post by SecondCity »

I ended up bouncing stuff off a web server in my environment, after all. Turns out I had a *few* systems that needed email capability, so I was backed into a corner with that solution. Regardless, it seems to work well, so I'm leaving it in place. Thanks anyway, all!!

John
vicpryl
Lurker
Full Name: Victor Prylipko

Post by vicpryl »

Veeam support found the simplest solution for VB&R 6 - to use port 587 for SSL connection to smtp.gmail.com