Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
redZonk
Novice
Liked: 2 times

What is the maximum days to configure for immutability?

Post by redZonk »

Hello all

I have a customer, where we need to expand the backup storage within the next month. At the moment we have two physical repository server with local disks. Each of them is located in a different site. The first one has SAS disks as a backup job target and SATA drives as copy job target. The second one only has SATA drives as a backup copy job target. I have configured some backup and backup copy jobs to move the data to the 2nd location.

Now I am thinking about to purpose a S3 storage for long-term backup in the second site. As far as I understand the immutability function, this will offer me also some additional protection against ransom war and crypto viruses.
At the moment I have a copy job which has the following GFS schema:
7 Restore Point, 4 weekly, 12 monthly and 1 yearly.

Now what I couldn't find in the documentation is the maximum of days I can configure the immutability. Is it 30 days which is mentioned as default value?
If I want to protect all my 4 weekly and 12 monthly, would I need to configure two SOBR with different S3 buckets and a different amount of immutability days?

Is this a possible scenario or what would be the best way to protect all weekly and monthly fullbackup files?

Thanks for your feedback
Patrick
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: What is the maximum days to configure for immutability?

Post by dalbertson »

In the interface you can set immutability up to 90 days. There is a way with powershell to make it longer but it was decided to do it less to limit potential issues.

While it can be done, have you looked at using other options like VTL? Its not really locked like object lock but it is offline WORM.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
SteveH
Veeam Software
Full Name: Steve Hickey

Post by SteveH »

Hi Dustin
I understand that leveraging a VTL might be a better way forward but are you able to share the powershell commands for increasing the immutable days past 90 days? I'm unable to find these commands anywhere.
Regards
Steve
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 635 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov » 2 people like this post

Hi Steve,

For S3 Compatible:

Code: Select all

Set-VBRAmazonS3CompatibleRepository -Repository <VBRAmazonS3CompatibleRepository> -ImmutabilityPeriod <int32>
For Amazon S3:

Code: Select all

Set-VBRAmazonS3CompatibleRepository -Repository <VBRAmazonS3Repository> -ImmutabilityPeriod <int32>
Best regards,
Oleg
SteveH
Veeam Software
Full Name: Steve Hickey

Post by SteveH »

Thanks Oleg information is greatly appreciated. Regards Steve
dbewernick
Veeam Software
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: David Bewernick

Post by dbewernick »

Is there a maximum of days which can be set through powershell? A customer is asking me for 5 yrs of immutability for backup copy jobs and wants to move the fulls to object storage after a few days and keep them for loooong. So no direct copying of the incremental retention points.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 635 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Yes, it's 999 days.
Does he intend to offload GFS fulls only?
Because that's what backup copy allows you to offload to capacity tier.
Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

A customer is asking me for 5 yrs of immutability for backup copy jobs and wants to move the fulls to object storage after a few days and keep them for loooong.
He might wait for v11 and make use of Archive Tier functionality - the feature that allows you to archive oldest GFS backups to Amazon S3 Glacier or Microsoft Azure Archive Tier. Thanks!
mark49808
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Post by mark49808 » 1 person likes this post

Hi lighting back up an old thread. In a regulated industry there is often a need to preserve certain records (in an immutable format) for up to 7 years. Maybe more in the future. Any way to increase immutability for 7+ years? 999 days is not enough.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Have you thought about using GFS restore points and Archive Tier? In Archive Tier the immutability period for GFS restore point will be equal to its retention period at the moment of archiving. So if there is a GFS restore point with 7-year retention, it will be made immutable for 7 years, once it lands on Archive Tier. Thanks!
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

I think you need to look at multiple ways to archive data when it comes to 7+ years and the Archive Tier is a great option here as noted by @veremin. I don't think they will change it past 999 days.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
mark49808
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Post by mark49808 »

I have. But archive tier requires glacier or azure correct?

"One of the following cloud-based object storage repositories providing "cold" data storage can be added as the archive extent:

Amazon S3 Glacier
Microsoft Azure Archive Storage"

Can't I do this for on-prem object?

Also GFS with weekly as the most granular does not always work out. I may need daily for some cases to hit something with 7 year retention. A week is a long time in some industries with lots of data churn.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Can't I do this for on-prem object?
Correct, on-prem object storage can play the role of Capacity Tier only, for long-term retention you will need Archive Tier backed by S3 Glacier or Azure Archive Tier.
I may need daily for some cases to hit something with 7 year retention.
In this case you can export a specific restore point. Exported restore points are also offloaded to Archive Tier.

Thanks!