Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Veeam Agent Windows Service Won't Start After Azure AD Sync Install

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Case #05482947

Hi guys,

Veeam Agent For Microsoft Windows service won't start after Microsoft Azure AD Sync was installed. The Azure AD Sync was working for a while but it too now won't start. We have tried a reboot of the server to no avail.

The error message when starting the Veeam Agent For Microsoft Windows service is that the service started and then stopped.

I assume there is a port conflict (?) but I don't know how we can fix this.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Re: Veeam Agent Windows Service Won't Start After Azure AD Sync Install

Looking at the Veeam Agent logs, specifically Svc.VeeamEndpointBackup.log, and it seems to be a SQL error.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Looking further, it looks like SQL Server is no longer installed. I just don't understand how this would have happened. I attempted a repair of Veeam Agent but it didn't reinstall SQL Server. Uninstalled Veeam Agent and reinstalled but the service still won't start and it doesn't look like SQL is installed.

Installed SQL Management Studio and it says there is nothing to connect to.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

I noted that there were no SQL Server services in the Services list, which I believe means that the DLLs are no longer registered with the server. I don't understand how that could have happened. Looking in the Program Files, Program Files (x86), and Program Data folders, I can see SQL Server and Veeam Agent folders and files.

I have uninstalled Veeam Agent and SQL Server, then deleted all files and folders related to SQL and Veeam Agent. Reinstalled Veeam Agent which has reinstalled SQL Server.

Oddly, when I started a new backup the Veeam Agent has picked up the backup information from where it left off, adding an incremental and then doing a merge, which makes no sense as all the files and folders had been deleted, unless there was a folder somewhere that I missed?

Anyway, it all appears to be working now.