Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Shaveen
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: shaveen Purmessur

Unable to update VM security descriptor Error: Failed to call RPC function

Post by Shaveen »

Hello Guys,

I am having an issue and I would appreciate if someone can point me to the right direction as it is the first time i encountered this error

We have backup a virtual machine with Windows server 2019 and it is hosted on an Hyper-V 2012.
We are trying to restore it on an Hyper-v server 2022 and during the restore process it fails just after Registering VM with Hyper-V VSS writer with error

'' Unable to update VM security descriptor Error: Failed to call RPC function''

Full error description:
6/6/2022 12:55:09 PM Error Unable to update VM security descriptor Error: Failed to call RPC function 'HvRestorePostRestore': Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' is failed at 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_POST_RESTORE'. The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is retried,. the error is likely to reoccur. Failed to finalize restore session. Failed to process request to process post restore steps. Failed to execute post restore command.

6/6/2022 12:55:11 PM Error Restore job failed Error: Failed to call RPC function 'HvRestorePostRestore': Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' is failed at 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_POST_RESTORE'. The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is retried,. the error is likely to reoccur. Failed to finalize restore session. Failed to process request to process post restore steps. Failed to execute post restore command.

Note that we have tested backup with VMs running windows 2008 and 2012 also and then trying to restore it to the same 2022 hyper-v with same error.
Also the client is using the veeam community edition for the moment( They will purchase after successfull POC )

Case ID : 05472536

Could you please help?

Thank you,
Shaveen Purmessur
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Unable to update VM security descriptor Error: Failed to call RPC function

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
does backup / restore of a "native" Hyper-V 2022 work?
Also the client is using the veeam community edition for the moment
if the customer would use the evaluation version, they would have evaluation. Also logs are required, that support can help https://www.veeam.com/kb1832 (as far as I see, logs are missing in the case)

Best regards,
Hannes
Shaveen
Influencer

Post by Shaveen »

Hello Hannes,

I have uploaded the logs to the case

Could you please check and advise

Thank you

Shaveen
Shaveen
Influencer

Post by Shaveen »

Hello Hannes,

Did you manage to check the logs please?
Would be really grateful if you could help me out on this ?
Also meanwhile I have tested with Gen1 & Gen2 vms in case it is related but the same error occurred?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
this is R&D forums. Not support forums. Only support checks logs.

The process for new customers evaluating the product is the following:
1) download of software / trial license is done with a customer account. Do NOT use the partner account (it sounds like you are a partner, as the initial post says "client")
2) if a problem occurs, a case can be opened with the customer account. That would be evaluation support level then instead of "free support"
Would be really grateful if you could help me out on this ?
I'm talking to support, whether it's possible to move the case to evaluation support and violating the official process.
Also meanwhile I have tested with Gen1 & Gen2 vms in case it is related but the same error occurred?
not sure about the "?", but test results about things that work / do not work are helping support.

Looks like it's an unsupported way of restore as you asked the same question on reddit and got an answer there https://www.reddit.com/r/Veeam/comments ... iledtocal/

Best regards,
Hannes
Shaveen
Influencer

Post by Shaveen »

Hello Hannes,

Thank you for the info

I will make the client create an account and will use it for future opening of tickets

Meanwhile thank you for trying to move the case to evaluation support.

Yes will try the workaround suggested there on Reddit but I would like to have someone check if there is something we can do to make the restore work directly without using the extract utility.

The unsupported os is 2019 which we agree but we also tested with 2008, 2012 and 2016 with same results

Thank you
dtang
Veeam Software
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dorian Tang

Post by dtang »

Shaveen, your free case was closed by the system. Please follow Hannes instructions, to open a case directly by your client who is evaluating. Ask him to provide you with the case number and you can post it here as a follow-up.

It's very important that you ask him to provide these logs:
1. The Veeam restore Logs -> https://www.veeam.com/kb1832. Use the 3rd Option "Export Logs for this Server" and check the Veeam BR server checkbox.
2. The output of this cmd from the Target Hyper-V Server right after the restore failed

Code: Select all

vssadmin list writers > C:\temp\vsswriters.txt
3. The Event Logs from the same Hyper-V Server.

Collect entire log folder from Windows.
- Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs
- Archive (ZIP\7z\RAR) the entire contents of the Logs folder.

Please package all files into a single .zip archive.

As soon as we have an evaluation case open and all the above Logs we can look at the big picture and tell you how it looks from the Hyper-V perspective. In the Veeam logs that you've provided we see only the error and that the writer is failed, thus the event logs were provided.
U.Sundermann
Novice
Full Name: Uwe Sundermann

Post by U.Sundermann »

Hello,
is there an update to this problem? We found exactly the same while restoring to Windows Server 2022 (Workgroup). Restoring to Server 2019 is no problem.
Regards
Uwe
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 527 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Uwe,

Please contact our support team and ask our engineers to investigate the issue, we have very limited resources to troubleshoot technical problems on forum. You may share a support case ID over here for our reference.

Thanks!
tomtom94
Novice

Post by tomtom94 »

Hello!

I had the same error.
Tried to move VMs from an old 2012R2 HyperV machine to Server 2022.
Veeam could restore the VM files on the new 2022 server but did not register the machine.
I think the problem are the old/outdated HyperV configuration files. Server 2012R2 uses version 5.0 but the minimal supported version on Server 2022 is 8.0.
Looks like Veeam is not able to convert these files to the newer format, but you can do that yourself manually.

I did it this way:
Restore the VM files with veeam on the new server, move the .xml file (configuration file) to your HyperV configuration folder and the VHD(X) file(s) to the correct folder where they are normally stored.
In HyperV manager use "Import machine" and choose your configuration folder, select your restored VM, select correct VHD(x) folder and directly register the machine.
The configuration will be converted by HyperV manager to the minimal supported version 8.0.
Finally delete the .xml file from the configuration folder and you are done.

If you want to play safe restore the VM files into a separate folder and import/recover the machine from there. But dont register the machine directly. That way HyperV makes a copy of the files but it takes longer and uses more space.

You can check the configuration version of your VMs with: Get-VM * | Format-Table Name, Version
List supported configuration versions on your server: Get-VMHostSupportedVersion
See Microsoft documentation: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windo ... ows-server

I opened a ticket with the free community edition but it got automatically closed due to low support staff so i cant verify if thats actually a bug or not.
If not there should be at least a kb or correct error message.

Regards
tom
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums
so i cant verify if thats actually a bug or not.
sounds like expected behavior to me.

I will talk to my colleagues, what they think about a KB article.

Best regards,
Hannes
tpayton
Veeam Software
Liked: 90 times
Full Name: Tyler Payton

Post by tpayton »

Our KB Article Management team has reviewed this issue and today has published https://www.veeam.com/kb4377 to address this.
Tyler Payton
Customer Experience Manager / KB Manager