Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
tomaskalabis
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tomas Kalabis

tape backup job - bottleneck ?

Post by tomaskalabis »

hi guys,
today i install the brand new tape library quantum i3 with LTO8 drive and FC 8G connectivity direct to backup server.
The backup server is physical server with direct connected iSCSI storage with 8x SAS 4 TB drives in RAID6 on 10GbE also tape proxy and installed console
The VMware infrasctrucuture is on vSphere 7.

When i run backup to the iSCSI repo on the 10 GbE with proxy in VMware i had speed around 480 MB/s and bottleneck is proxy. I just tested the speed of the tape backup but the speed is only around 150 MB/s and bottleneck is the network. What mean network ? Its Fibre between Server and Tape Library or ???

The VBR server
IBM 3550 M4
1x Xeon 2330 0 2.3 GHz
32 GB RAM
WS 2016 OS
2x 480 GB SAS in RAID1 for OS
VeeamBackup&Replication_11.0.1.1261_20220302

Thanks !
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: tape backup job - bottleneck ?

Post by PetrM »

Hi Tomas,

"Network" always implies data processing stage on which data goes from the source Data Mover to the target one. You may refer to this page, there is a diagram illustrating data flow. If I'm not mistaken, shared memory is used to transmit data blocks between Data Movers when they are running on the same machine. In your case, this channel between Data Movers running on the same server is the slowest processing stage. On the other hand, I wouldn't compare processing rates of primary backup and tape jobs as data flows are different in both cases.

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: tape backup job - bottleneck ?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Tomas,

When i run backup to the iSCSI repo on the 10 GbE with proxy in VMware i had speed around 480 MB/s and bottleneck is proxy. I just tested the speed of the tape backup but the speed is only around 150 MB/s and bottleneck is the network.

I assume you are referring to backup to tape job, right? With Veeam B&R being used as a tape proxy you actually read from the repository to the tape proxy (B&R server in your case) and only then send data to tape. Is it possible to install tape proxy on the mentioned repository to isolate the traffic?