Disaster recovery orchestration for the Enterprise (formerly Veeam Availability Orchestrator)
chrisr
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Backup or replica job as source for plan?

Post by chrisr »

I'm setting up a new vao installation and trying to understand the steps involved. I have got a few test vms in a vbr backup job and have also got a vbr replica to copy these to the dr site.

When setting up a new replica plan in vao, the add vm groups stage that allows me to define the vms that will be part of the plan lists all the b&r jobs so i'm wondering what difference is between selecting the vbr backup job or vbr replica job as the group - they both contain the same vms so does it not matter or is there some inference on choosing the replica job as it's a replica plan that i'm building?
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: Backup or replica job as source for plan?

Post by Alec King »

Hi,
When using VM groups which are based on Veeam B&R jobs, for Orchestrator these groups are simply containers for VMs. You can use a VM group based on a backup job for a Restore plan, or a Replica plan, or a Storage plan. The Readiness Check in Orchestrator will tell you whether your choice of group was appropriate for the plan type (i.e "these VMs are not backed-up/ not replicated" / and so on)
Hope that helps!
chrisr
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Re: Backup or replica job as source for plan?

Post by chrisr »

ok great thanks, i thought that maybe the case but thought it worth the ask. I looked at using tags instead of jobs but thought that would seem to be more prone to getting forgotten and not updated with any changes whereas at least the job members will likely be correct