Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
robin@robinbell.se
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Robin Bell

Backup fails with Error:Shared memory connection was closed

Post by robin@robinbell.se »

Support Case ID #05491384
Attempting to run both a volume, then a folder backup on a Packard-Bell laptop computer running Windows 10. Both failed with same error:
Error: Shared memory connection was closed. Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method DataTransfer.SyncDisk. Exception from server. There is not enough space on the disk. Failed to write data.
Volume backup was C: drive approx. 6.8GB used of 678GB free, backing up to a 1TB external hard disk with 931GB free space. Both C: and external hard disk checked with no errors....
When I checked on the target external disk there was a backup file present, but this was not recognised when I attempted to run a restore....
I ran the same volume backup on my desktop computer running Windows 10 with no problems apart from a couple of bad blocks.
New to Agent for Windows, so any help much appreciated....
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup fails with Error:Shared memory connection was closed

Post by Mildur »

Hi Robin

Welcome to the forums.
The error message in the case looks different (bad source blocks detected) to the one you have posted here (no disk space available).
For which one is the question?
Seems your laptop has a corrupted filesystem. Can you run a check disk for all drives?

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
robin@robinbell.se
Novice

Hi Fabian and thanks...
The error was on the laptop, which is owned by a friend that I was attempting to help. After reading a few posts in the forums, it may be that the external hard disk to which I was attempting to backup (a USB 1TB) may possibly have been formatted as FAT32, which I gather has a 4GB file size restriction. The USB hard disk which I successfully backed up my desktop PC is formatted NTFS. I will check with my friend as to the status of his external hard disk and possibly reformat it as NTFS if necessary, I did run check disk on both the C: drive and the external hard disk on the laptop and no errors were reported....
Thanks for the response, I come back when I've had a chance to check my friend's laptop....
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Your welcome.
Yes, FAT32 is not a good choice for a backup target.
That explains the "no disk space available" message :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
robin@robinbell.se
Novice

Just an update. I checked on my friends extermnal hard disk and it was indeed formatted FAT32. A quick reformat to NTFS and the backup completed with no problems....