Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Re: Any reason to NOT go Server 2022 on new backup server?

Post by m.novelli »

Yes you should go with 128 GB RAM better 192 GB
Be careful to not backup Notebook when they are at home / connected via VPN or they will saturate all the upload

Marco
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 89 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Re: [MERGED] to ReFS or not to ReFS - Win Server 2022

Post by m.novelli »

Ctek wrote: Jun 07, 2022 10:00 pm -NEVER EVER REBOOT a repository server unless you are 100% absolutely sure it is NOT doing ReFS storage tasks in the background. Most of the ReFS storage operations are not easily detectable unless you take a close look with task manager/ process manager for the background processes. Others can chime in on that comment, but i've seen guys get RAW'ed 100+ TB partitions while patching repository servers with /force, no recovery possible even with MS Support to this day.
What is /force ?

Marco
edison5000
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: e

Post by edison5000 »

m.novelli wrote: Jun 08, 2022 10:13 am Yes you should go with 128 GB RAM better 192 GB
Be careful to not backup Notebook when they are at home / connected via VPN or they will saturate all the upload

Marco
Our current backup product (which we are only ditching because it is EOL in a week) lets us do it ok over VPN. It is slow, but it does get the job done. Not sure how much ram is in the server, but it is linux based as opposed to Windows.That being said, very few of our remote users have much data on their home systems at all; the bulk of the initial notebook backups are done while the notebooks are being built in-office.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

edison5000 wrote: Jun 07, 2022 10:51 pm You're saying we should have 150GB of ram? In any case, we won't have a separate repository server; everything Veeam is happening stacked on this one box. I didn't exactly architect this, but it's what we got.
When working with my Veeam SA, he told me that, once you get over 128TB of ReFS storage, you should be fine with 128GB of RAM. However, keep in mind that that is for storage alone - don't try to "double dip" and use that RAM to run VBR, SQLExpress, backups, etc. In other words, continue to spec the system as if it won't have ReFS storage on it, determine your RAM requirements, and then add the 128GB RAM overhead for storage.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Re: [MERGED] to ReFS or not to ReFS - Win Server 2022

Post by RubinCompServ »

m.novelli wrote: Jun 08, 2022 10:14 am What is /force ?

Code: Select all

C:\> shutdown -r -t 60 -f
-r = reboot
-t 60 = wait 60 seconds before doing it
-f = force-stop any running processes instead of waiting for them to end cleanly.
Powderham
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Richard Powderham

Post by Powderham » 2 people like this post

My customer is new to Veeam about 3 month ago - I installed a physical Veeam server for them running Windows 2022.
They have both VMware and Hyper-V hosts.
Veeam backups and VMware replicas are all working fine.
But I can't use their Veeam server as a Hyper-V off-host proxy because the production Hyper-V hosts are 2019.
Just something to watch out for - it is in the manual but easy to miss "Versions of a Microsoft Hyper-V host and off-host backup proxy must coincide."