Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ChristLogan
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Christian YOULOU

activate the "Rotated Drives" function with two external drives that will be connected to the server backup

Post by ChristLogan »

Hello,
I am new to using veeam backup & replication and I want to use two external rotating disks to be changed every 3 weeks.
These external hard drives will be connected directly to the server.

But I don't know how to do it especially for the Jobs configuration. I have configured a repository and I activated the rotation function of the drives on this repository.

Objective was to make an incremental reverse unfortunately I do not use a VM, I'm on a physical machine running Windows server 2022.

Please help me, it's for an internship and it's urgent.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: activate the "Rotated Drives" function with two external drives that will be connected to the server backup

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

But I don't know how to do it especially for the Jobs configuration. I have configured a repository and I activated the rotation function of the drives on this repository.
This should be enough for backup server to recognize rotated repository and apply corresponding logic to it. Might be worth increasing retention period due to these reasons. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: activate the "Rotated Drives" function with two external drives that will be connected to the server backup

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Christian, rotated drives should work automatically and be identified upon the drive change once you properly add the repositories in Veeam B&R. Don't recommend to go with reverse incremental due to performance reasons though.
ChristLogan
Novice

Post by ChristLogan »

veremin wrote: Jun 22, 2022 2:17 pm This should be enough for backup server to recognize rotated repository and apply corresponding logic to it. Might be worth increasing retention period due to these reasons. Thanks!
I have configured only one repository, won't it cause me a problem? Because indeed, my disks are identical and they will logically use the same volume name
ChristLogan
Novice

Post by ChristLogan »

foggy wrote: Jun 22, 2022 2:21 pm Hi Christian, rotated drives should work automatically and be identified upon the drive change once you properly add the repositories in Veeam B&R. Don't recommend to go with reverse incremental due to performance reasons though.
for the restores points how much do I have to put in because the discs have to be replaced every two or three weeks
foggy
Veeam Software

ChristLogan wrote: Jun 22, 2022 2:32 pm I have configured only one repository, won't it cause me a problem? Because indeed, my disks are identical and they will logically use the same volume name
Yes, Veeam B&R will check the backup chain for consistency and create a new full backup on another drive.
foggy
Veeam Software

ChristLogan wrote: Jun 22, 2022 2:37 pm for the restores points how much do I have to put in because the discs have to be replaced every two or three weeks
You can estimate using the calculator, based on the backup size and the drive size.
ChristLogan
Novice

Post by ChristLogan » 1 person likes this post

Thanks guys I think I have the answers to my questions
ChristLogan
Novice

Post by ChristLogan »

If I have any more questions I will get back to you.
Thank you very much
ChristLogan
Novice

Post by ChristLogan »

foggy wrote: Jun 22, 2022 2:48 pm You can estimate using the calculator, based on the backup size and the drive size.
Hello
Sorry to come back, but I'm stuck on the level of deduction points.
Knowing that :
* I have two external hard drives of 4 TB each
* the data to be saved is 800 GB
* I have to change the disks every 3 weeks
* My backup must run every day

How many retention points should I put?
foggy
Veeam Software

It's strange to decide on the number of restore points based on the space you have instead of how far back you need to be able to recover. Anyway, have you tried to use the calculator? It allows checking the amount of space your backup chain would occupy on disk after a particular time with the given amount of restore points and the data change rate specific to your workloads.