Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
NorthGuard
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times

Backup Copy Resetting during each night's source run

Post by NorthGuard »

I am getting frustrated, so bear with me. I have had a case opened for well over a month and the "issue" keeps changing. The case number is 05454072

The summary is that I have a backup job that runs, and then a backup copy job that takes that and sends it to a remote repository. The actual copy job has successfully completed in months. Note that the source job is pretty big - about 2+tb

The first round of support just gathered logs for a few weeks with no real progress.

The second round of support suggested I change the copy interval something very long to allow it time to complete, which I did at 30 days. Unfortunately, the source job runs every night and when it does, it locks the recovery point, stalls the copy job, and when the copy job resumes, it starts over from scratch.

The third round of support is now suggesting that the above behavior is by design and are suggesting I stop the source backup until the copy can finish, which is not a reasonable request for obvious reasons.

The part I am stumped on is why the copy job is resetting itself each time the source runs. Shouldn't it pick up where it left off?

Aside from seeding the backup and physically taking to the offsite repository (which isn't very feasible), how else would large backups get copied offsite without impacting the original source?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup Copy Resetting during each night's source run

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the backup copy job can only "continue" when running tor the first time. Incrementals have to finish within the interval (you have periodic mode, right?). If the incremental ever does not fit, then the "easiest" way is to extend the copy interval and lower it once it finished (what support said).

What backup mode are you using?

I understand your frustration, but yes, sending a disk with parcel service is often the fastest solution.

Best regards,
Hannes
NorthGuard
Service Provider

Post by NorthGuard »

The copy job is set to Periodic Copy at 30 days, which I am pretty sure was a suggestion from support.

Given your statement about the ability to continue when running the first time, what would happen if I deleted all offsite recovery points ( the newest is several months old at this point ) and then did a "sync now" on the copy job? Would that essentially end up asking like it is running the first time and allow it to run uninterrupted until it finishes?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

yes, it would still start every X time you configured and you would see "part" files, but in the end it should finish. I have seen customers doing that for a month or so before the first backup was transferred.
NorthGuard
Service Provider

Post by NorthGuard »

I cleaned up offsite files and it has been running for 5 days as a Full. Sadly, I am still seeing the "locked restore point" messages and it appears to still be starting over after.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

What backup mode are you using?
this would still be interesting to know
NorthGuard
Service Provider

Post by NorthGuard »

I thought I had previously answered that, tho maybe it isn't the right answer?

The copy job is set to Periodic Copy at 30 days, which I am pretty sure was a suggestion from support.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

that's the backup copy job setting. I was asking for the backup job setting -> storage -> advanced -> backup -> backup mode
NorthGuard
Service Provider

Post by NorthGuard »

That particular source backup job is a physical server and is using the Agent - there aren't the same Mode settings as there are through B&R.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

okay, that's fine
it appears to still be starting over after.
that's not how it is supposed to work. support should check that. for the first initial run (and ONLY for the first run), the backup copy job continues to transfer data. and it finishes at some point in time (as long as you don't completely overload too little bandwidth with too much data). The backup copy job creates several files at the target. once everything finished, it merges everything together.

helpcenter describes it and I have seen it working a couple of times with customers
The first backup copy interval always produces a full backup file — the starting point in the backup chain. If Veeam Backup & Replication fails to copy data for the full backup file during the first backup copy interval, it marks the job session as finished with the Warning status. During the next backup copy interval, Veeam Backup & Replication attempts to copy data for the full backup file in the following manner:
If you see something else, please escalate until you have a solution / bug number

Best regards,
Hannes