Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
TimLawhead
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Tim Lawhead

Server 2012 R2 VM Restore from Backups won't boot. Windows Automatic Repair. SAN Snapshot Restore fine.

Post by TimLawhead »

I'm trying to restore a VM, running Windows Server 2012 R2, every backup I try to restore the VM won't boot and comes up with the Windows Automatic Repair.

The original VM can be shutdown and restarted without any incident.

When I try a restore of that VM from the SAN Snapshot, the VM boots up just fine. Unfortunately, my SAN Snapshot retention doesn't go back far enough to get to where the application team wants it restored from.

I just opened a ticket, Case #05498653.

Anyone run across this? Any suggestions?

TIA
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Server 2012 R2 VM Restore from Backups won't boot. Windows Automatic Repair. SAN Snapshot Restore fine.

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
from a backup perspective, the only difference I can imagine between SAN snapshot and backup would be the additional VSS snapshot, if application aware processing is enabled. That should not lead to automatic repair.

The other thing that comes into my mind is bit rot on the repository. Did you do a manual health check with the backup validator for that machine?

As a general recommendation: SureBackup is available to do automated restore tests. That should have covered such issues.

Besides of that, support should investigate what they find in the logs.

Best regards,
Hannes
TimLawhead
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Tim Lawhead

Re: Server 2012 R2 VM Restore from Backups won't boot. Windows Automatic Repair. SAN Snapshot Restore fine.

Post by TimLawhead »

HannesK,

I ran the Veeam Backup Validator and it comes up:
############################
Statistic:
VM count: 1
Incomplete VM count: 0
Failed VM count: 0
Files count: 11
Total size: 320.0 GB

Validation completed successfully.
#############################

Questions Answered for Support:

• Backup job type from which you have restore. Is it storage snapshot?
I am backing up to a Windows Backup Repository, then pushing to deduplication devices as well as have the Storage Integration plugin for my Dell Compellent SAN.
• Hypervisor type:
VMware
• What restore operation you performed?
Both - Entire VM restore / Instant Recovery.
• From your case notes, it looks like restore performed successfully.
Yes, the restore happens successfully, but this is the first time, I’ve had the restored VM not able to post after booting. From the Entire VM restore and the Instant Recovery the VM comes up
to the Windows Automatic Repair. Doing a restore from the SAN Snapshot the VM posts fine, but I don’t have enough retention to get back to before the application team made some changes
that have broken the application.

• Can you please share the screenshot of the error you are encountering?
See Below:
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
okay, then I have no further idea and can only recommend to continue working with support.

Best regards
Hannes