Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
KeiichiKun
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times

An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Invalid change tracker error code

Post by KeiichiKun »

Hi all,
I've a cluster with four identical hosts (host5,host6,host7,host8) ESXi, 7.0.3, 19482537.
If I try to do a backup on the host #7 and only on the host7, I got the error

Failed to create VM snapshot. Error: CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef vm-435838, timeout 1800000, snName VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT, snDescription Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup., memory False, quiesce False
Error: An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Invalid change tracker error code. (An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Invalid change tracker error code., An error occurred while taking a snapshot: Invalid change tracker error code.)

And I can add that, if I manually do a snapshot and remove it, the virtual machines on the host7 always needs consolidation. The consolidation completes correctly but in fact it doesn't do nothing.
To consolidate, I need to migrate the vm to another host.

Any hint?
Case #05499011

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Invalid change tracker error code

Post by Mildur »

Hi

That‘s not a case number. Case Number normally begins with #05.
If you have already consolidation issues directly on the esxi host without veeam, then this question should better be ask in VmWare forums or their support. Veeam only give the command todo a snapshot and doesn‘t do it itself.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
KeiichiKun
Enthusiast

Re: An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Invalid change tracker error code

Post by KeiichiKun »

Sorry, case number is 05499011
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

I edited the number from your first post.
Please keep working with our support engineer. I see, that he has answered already.
KeiichiKun
Enthusiast

Post by KeiichiKun »

The error is due to a vmware bug, CBT module is not correctly loaded during esxi boot.
There's a workaround to manually load che module and it works, but there's not an official fix yet.
Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Thanks for the update.
KLinville
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Kristopher Linville

Post by KLinville »

I'm encountering this error on a single VM. I've upgraded and reinstalled VMware Tools

Environment:
  • VMware ESXi, 7.0.3, 22348816
    Windows Server 2022 Datacenter
    SQL Server 2022
    Veeam B&R 12.0.0.1420 P20230412

Problem:
Manual VMware Snapshot fails, Veeam backup (Incremental and Active Full) fails, both with the same error message:

3/21/2024 5:49:47 PM ::Processing VM_NAME Error: An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Invalid change tracker error code. (An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Invalid change tracker error code., An error occurred while taking a snapshot: Invalid change tracker error code.)

Investigation:
  • Windows Event Logs seem clean
    VSS Writers show no errors
    Can manually create new Shadow Copy

Troubleshooting Steps:
  • vMotion to another host did not resolve
    Upgrade of VMware Tools did not resolve
    Uninstall/Install of VMware Tools with Reboot resulted in a new error message in Veeam: VSSControl Failed to prepare guest for freeze, wait timeout 900 sec
    Same Invalid change tracker error in vCenter when trying to manually create snapshot

Still no resolution at the time of this post.
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 126 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Post by tyler.jurgens »

If a VMware snapshot fails, Veeam backups will also fail. Get a ticket open with Broadcom if your searching is not yielding you successful remediation.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social