Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
HockeyFan0000
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Hockey Fan

Job edits after VM migration

Post by HockeyFan0000 »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding Veeam B&R still can't automatically update a backup job after a VM migration. From time to time, we have to move our VMs around for ESXi upgrades and the like. We only have about 50 VMs but it's a real hassle to update all the backup jobs after migrations. We have one server where it's CRITICAL that ONLY the OS drive is backed up and the others are excluded. But, every time we have to update the backup job for that VM, we have to make sure to do the exclusion again and we've already had a failure to do so cause a major outage of that server while the snapshots were consolidated. Considering how closely VMware and Veeam seem to work together, it's shocking to me this major issue hasn't been resolved after all this time.

My question is, how do large organizations work around Veeam's inability to keep backup jobs in sync with their current hosts? I can't imagine an organization with hundreds of VMs doing this manually. So, how do they do it? Are they scripting the migration? Do they just use Veeam for their migrations? Is there some feature of Veeam that resolves this my feeble brain doesn't know about? Any help to add clarity to this is greatly appreciated.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Job edits after VM migration

Post by Mildur »

Hi Hockey

If you use a vCenter as the backup source and vMotion to migrate the VMs between the hosts, no Job needs to be reconfigured.
If you use Veeam Replicas to migrate the VMs or don't have a vCenter, the VM ID (MoRefID) changes and you have to reconfigure your backups jobs.

As a larger organization I would definitely go with a vCenter and shared storage. That makes updating ESXI Hosts really painless and everything is automated with vSphere Lifecycle Manager.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
HockeyFan0000
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Hockey Fan

Re: Job edits after VM migration

Post by HockeyFan0000 »

S-u-h-w-w-e-e-t! Our Veeam has always been configured to backup from the hosts, instead of vCenter. I've even spoken with Veeam techs about this exact issue before while on a support call for a different reason but they never knew how to resolve this. I've added our vCenter server into the mix and tested a backup after a migration and it worked perfectly. That was a simple fix that resolved a long-standing issue. Thank you so much!