PowerShell script exchange
amedjber
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: MEDJBER Assalas

Restore VM into GCP via PowerShell

Post by amedjber »

Hi,

I'm a student from France trying to restore a VM from Veeam Backup & Replication to GCP by using a PowerShell script, aiming to automate this task in the future.
I found a script on youtube of a person doing exactly what I'm looking for, so I tried to understand the script and copied it with my values.

I had first many errors, that I debugged step by step. I'm now like "blocked" with an error that I don't understand :

Code: Select all

Start-VBRVMRestoreToGoogleCloud : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'RestorePoint'. The argument is null. Provide a valid value for the argument, 
and then try running the command again.
At C:\Users\sa_veeam\Documents\Test script.ps1:12 char:47
+ Start-VBRVMRestoreToGoogleCloud -RestorePoint $restorepoint -Zone $gc ...
+                                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Start-VBRVMRestoreToGoogleCloud], ParameterBindingValidationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,Veeam.Backup.PowerShell.Cmdlets.StartVBRVMRestoreToGoogleCloud

Here is my PowerShell script :

$gcpaccount = Get-VBRGoogleCloudComputeAccount -Name "xxxxxx"
$gcpregion = Get-VBRGoogleCloudComputeRegion -Account $gcpaccount -Name "europe-west1"
$gcpzone = Get-VBRGoogleCloudComputeZone -Region $gcpregion -Name "europe-west1-b"
$gcptype = Get-VBRGoogleCloudComputeInstanceType -Zone $gcpzone -Name "e2-small"
$gcpvpc = Get-VBRGoogleCloudComputeVPC -Account $gcpaccount -Name "default"
$gcpsubnet = Get-VBRGoogleCloudComputeSubnet -VPC $gcpvpc -Region $gcpregion -Name "default"
$restorepoint = Get-VBRRestorePoint -Name "xxxxxxx" | Sort-Object $_.creationtime -Descending | Select -First 1
$gcpdisk = New-VBRGoogleCloudComputeDiskConfiguration -Diskname "xxxxxx.vmdk" -DiskType StandardPersistent
$gcprestoredVMname = "testRestoredVM"
$gcpproxy = New-VBRGoogleCloudComputeProxyAppliance -InstanceType $gcptype -RedirectorPort 443 -Subnet $gcpsubnet
Start-VBRVMRestoreToGoogleCloud -RestorePoint $restorepoint -Zone $gcpzone -InstanceType $gcptype -VMName $gcprestoredVMName -Subnet $gcpsubnet -DiskConfiguration $gcpdisk -ProxyAppliance $gcpproxy -AllocatePublicIP
Thank you for your help !! :)
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2271 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Restore VM into GCP via PowerShell

Post by Mildur »

Hi Medjber

Welcome to the forum.
Seems to me like the variable $restorepoint is empty.
Can you see a restore Point when you run only the following command:

Get-VBRRestorePoint -Name "xxxxxxx" | Sort-Object $_.creationtime -Descending | Select -First 1
Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
amedjber
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: MEDJBER Assalas

Post by amedjber »

Hi Fabian,

Thank you for trying to help me !
Indeed, when I run the command alone, nothing result to it.
However, I do have content registered in my variable, right? With this line : $restorepoint = Get-VBRRestorePoint -Name "xxxxxxx" | Sort-Object $_.creationtime -Descending | Select -First 1

I'm a PowerShell beginner, sorry if something looking obvious for you isn't for me :(

Amedjber

EDIT :

This is the video I used to have a solid base for the script : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2yshoK ... ewZhelezko
The script is visible around 3:40mn
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi,

If you run the command and get no output, nothing will also be assigned to a variable if you add one.
I would advise to check the filtering criterias for your restore points. Might be something to do with Name filter, for example.
Try running the cmdlet without sort and select expressions, then if doesn't work adjust name criteria and etc.

Thanks,
Oleg