Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
mkr
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Is it possible to have multiple jobs backing up a single server working in parallel?

Post by mkr »

Hi everybody,

Is it possible to have multiple jobs backing up a single server working in parallel?
At the moment, only one backup job is running at a time. The others report "machine is locked by another Task". Is this related to snapshot creation?

The jobs back up different partitions (3 in total) of a single server, (which is also the backup server) to 2 different backup repositories (both NAS, SMB share).

Thank you in advance!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Is it possible to have multiple jobs backing up a single server working in parallel?

Post by Mildur »

Vss snapshots should not be done at the same time from two different backup Jobs/Products.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Is it possible to have multiple jobs backing up a single server working in parallel?

Post by PetrM »

Perhaps, you could use "After this job" option. But keep in mind it's not available in "Managed by agent" mode.

Thanks!
edison5000
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: e

Post by edison5000 »

Petrm: I have a similar ticket open about this right now. Case #05500422

So you are saying that in 'managed by agent' mode, of any kind - Veeam 11a will not support two jobs backing up the same protection group - even if it's not a server??

We were told Veeam could definitely run multiple jobs on the same protection group. I figured I'd set it up to just run at different times of day (say, 11am and 10pm). But when I try to apply a new policy to the same protection group, which consists of desktops and notebook endpoints only, Veeam policy response is:

'Skipping pcXXYYY: workstation is already assigned to the backup policy AABBCC".
Nothing to process
Failed to apply backup job configuration

There are two primary reasons I see to do this (I guess somebody might want to backup to two locations? but this isn't our case).

1. you want to change the nature of the job from A to B - like in our case, from file level to volume - but you don't want to delete the old job before creating a new one, to guarantee that everything is ok before you delete the old job. But more importantly

2. Agent managed Workstation mode only lets you schedule a single daily backup.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

In my previous post, I was talking about the specific schedule option "After this job" that is explained on this page. I'm not sure that I fully understand the reason to keep an old policy if you're going to create a new one. Even if a new policy does not work, you can change its settings so that they are identical to the old policy.

I believe that the error you're seeing the error due to the limitation described in this section of our help center:
You can include a computer of the Workstation type in one backup policy targeted at a local drive, network shared folder or Veeam backup repository plus unlimited number of backup policies targeted at a Veeam Cloud Connect repository.
Thanks!