Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Guilbert
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Guilbert

Scheduling Complexity

Post by Guilbert »

Previously, with B&R v5, I used Powershell to schedule replication and backup jobs for each evening. This allowed me to schedule some jobs to run every evening and others to run on particular days. It also meant I could always do an ad-hoc backup at any time. Having individual jobs, each with it’s own settings, and then scheduling the jobs as required worked very well.

Having upgraded to B&R 6, I thought I could dispense with powershell as the scheduling had been improved. After a lot of testing however, I can’t figure out how to maintain the flexibility I had before.

Am I right in thinking that if I create a replication job containing a number of VMs I cannot then create a new job which includes a VM from the first job?

Regards, Pete.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Scheduling Complexity

Post by foggy »

Peter, you can create several jobs with the same VMs in them, no limitations here. Thanks.
Guilbert
Novice

Post by Guilbert »

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

We have a mix of Windows server types. Can I backup W2k along with later server types in the same job? It seems to me I can't configure individual vms to enable (for W2k3+) or disable (for W2k) application-aware image processing?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can both mix different OS's in the job and specify individual application-aware processing settings for each VM (just use the Advanced button on the Guest Processing step of the job wizard).
Guilbert
Novice

Post by Guilbert »

Thanks foggy.

Great support as always...
Guilbert
Novice

Post by Guilbert »

Foggy,

If I create two separate replication jobs with the same VM being replicated to the same place I get the error: The name 'VM_Name' already exists.

I thought from your earlier answer that 'you can create several jobs with the same VMs in them, no limitations'
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Yes, but I think the meaming was "with the same SOURCE VM", your test is really uncommon, why do you want to replica the same VM to the same destination with two different jobs?
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Guilbert
Novice

Post by Guilbert »

I have two replication jobs; one runs on week days, the other on weekends. The weekend job contains some of the VMs that are in the week days job.

I assume then that the way I should be doing this is to create three jobs named Weekdays, Weekends, and Everyday. And to ensure that each replicated VM appears only once.

This limits flexibility a tad as moving VMs between jobs is not a seamless operation. It would be nice if each VM replication was a self-contained task that could be scheduled in different jobs but I accept that's not the way it's set up.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Peter, you cannot register VMs with the same name in VI inventory.
Guilbert wrote:I assume then that the way I should be doing this is to create three jobs named Weekdays, Weekends, and Everyday. And to ensure that each replicated VM appears only once.
Yes, every job will create a new VM on the destination host. Also you can use different replica suffixes to avoid errors saying about duplicate names.