Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
petitbleu
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: LE COQ MANUEL

Indexing File Tape backup VM hyper-v

Post by petitbleu »

Hi,
I'm looking for a solution, I'm asked to have indexing of the content of my file servers that I put on tape and that are backed up to the hyper-v vm with indexing.
But I don't have the impression that it takes into account the indexing once copied on tape?
I have turned the problem every which way and the only solution I can find is to make a file backup of my server and put it on tape.
Is there anything new on this side in v12?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Indexing File Tape backup VM hyper-v

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
that are backed up to the hyper-v vm with indexing.
The index is stored in Enterprise Manager. That is independent to where the backups are copied (tape, object storage, normal repository),
But I don't have the impression that it takes into account the indexing once copied on tape?
which edition are you using? It sounds like the description in of the "guest file system catalog" for standard edition

To answer the V12 question: no change, same like in earlier versions

Best regards,
Hannes
petitbleu
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: LE COQ MANUEL

Post by petitbleu »

I'm in VUL so entreprise plus. I have put the indexing and use veeam EM
However, I did not see in the tests carried out in enterprise manager where one could specify the media if it is on disk or tapes I only have the date. Example in the case where my disk repo would be corrupted and I want to search only on tape.

In any case I will be forced to extend my retention on disk. Because the granular mode from tape is not possible in vm backup because I have a 20TB server. And if I use an agent, I'll cut off the possibility of VM restoration.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as mentioned earlier: that index is independent from the media. There is no way to say "search on tape". One can only say "search on day X". Even with corrupted repository, the search would work, as long as the Enterprise Manager index is intact. By installing Enterprise Manager in a separate VM, one can back it up and restore Enterprise Manager in case of corruption.

Correct, file-level restore from tape is impossible with image / block-based backup. A Veeam Agent for Windows (assuming it's about Windows VMs) would have the same result (even with file-based backup).

Best regards,
Hannes

PS: "entire machine" backups by Veeam agent for Windows / Linux can be restored directly as VM (instant recovery)