Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
aj_potc
Expert
Liked: 35 times

Backing up and restoring MySQL/MariaDB databases

Post by aj_potc »

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating Veeam for use with Linux-based systems, and I have some questions about how backups of MySQL/MariaDB are handled.

According to this document:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=40
Veeam is able to do application-aware backups of MySQL databases. Sounds good, and it's easy to set up via the B&R console. I just enter the login info for the db server.

According to this document:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=40
"Veeam Agent supports processing of database systems for the volume-level backup only."

I have a few questions that I couldn't find answered anywhere else:
  1. If only volume-level backups are supported, does this mean that "Entire computer" is not a supported option?
  2. The docs state that MySQL versions 5.6-8.0 are supported. What does this mean for MariaDB support? I'm running version 10.3; is it included?
  3. When doing application-aware backups, how is this indicated in the backup logs? In my tests, I don't see any indication that application-aware backups are happening. I only see the usual notes about creating a volume snapshot of the selected device.
  4. Finally, how do I restore the backed up databases? The restore documentation for the agent for Linux seems to be silent on this critical issue. If I want to restore a database, and not an entire VM or volume, how do I do it? With other backup solutions, I just need to provide a target MySQL server, and the databases can be restored there (using a different name, so they don't overwrite the existing ones). Is this possible with Veeam?
Thanks in advance for help on these questions.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backing up and restoring MySQL/MariaDB databases

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Veeam Agent for Linux supports MySQL. MySQL is an Oracle product. MariaDB is a different product that is not supported.

1. Entire computer is "volume based". "File-based is not supported.
2. No support for MariaDB
3. that's because you run an unsupported configuration. With a supported configuration, you see output that indicates MySQL consistency
4. That restore happens file-based. There is no Veeam Explorer for MySQL.

Best regards,
Hannes
aj_potc
Expert

Post by aj_potc »

Hi Hannes,

Thank you very much for your reply.

As I'm sure you know, MariaDB is a very popular fork of MySQL, and both databases are supported by many applications due to their similarity. In addition, MariaDB is mentioned several times on the Veeam site alongside MySQL in blog entries and a white paper. I suppose this led me to the incorrect assumption that MariaDB is also supported by the application-aware components of the Linux agent. My mistake.

Could you please accept this as a vote for supporting MariaDB in the future?
That restore happens file-based. There is no Veeam Explorer for MySQL.
That is indeed regrettable, and severely limits the usefulness of this feature in my opinion.

The ability to recover databases from a specific point in time is a feature that I'm sure many clients would find useful. I can think of many situations where this type of recovery would be more desirable than restoring an entire MySQL instance (or its underlying files). So, I would also vote for such a feature, just in case it finds itself on your roadmap. :)

Thanks again for answering my questions.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Could you please accept this as a vote for supporting MariaDB in the future?
your post counts as +1, yes. 👍

You can also use pre/ post scripts since years:
https://www.veeam.com/blog/backing-up-m ... ux-vm.html
https://www.veeam.com/wp-consistent-pro ... riadb.html

Best regards,
Hannes
Joeln
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joel Nicholson

Post by Joeln »

Can i also add a vote to include Mariadb support
as a business we have Mariadb SQL running on both CentOS an OpenSUSE systems
the backup of the MariaDB SQL does appear to work on CentOS but does not on OpenSUSE because the libmysql18 package is no longer supported by OpenSUSE.
Mariadb is becoming the preferred SQL distro for a number of Linux Distro's,
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Mariadb is becoming the preferred SQL distro for a number of Linux Distro's
Would you give us some numbers, please?

Also, which CentOS do you use and what's the next CentOS version that you plan to upgrade to?

Thanks!
Joeln
Novice

Post by Joeln » 2 people like this post

Hi,
i dont have specific numbers unfortunately, but you only have to google around to see that in both performance and preference, Mariadb is being recommended.
We currently use CentOS7 which is EOL in 2024 and with CentOS8 already EOL we will be moving to OpenSUSE Leap distro's going forward.
While testing SQL backups with Veeam it appears that providing the libmysql / libmysql18 package is available then Veeam can successfully interact with Mariadb.
On CentOS7 this is available via the epl7 repo and is included as part of Mariadb installation. on OpenSUSE however this package is no longer supported and is not officially available. It is available via community source repo's and when installed Veeam can successfully backup the SQL database.
Any new deployments we do will be OpenSUSE. Currently that will be Leap 15.2 but shortly this will move to Leap 15.3.
I am aware you support OpenSUSE, but its the Mariadb support i need. so if this can be logged as NFR it would be appreciated.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

The request has been noted.

Thanks!
aj_potc
Expert

Post by aj_potc »

Joeln wrote: Jul 13, 2021 8:30 am While testing SQL backups with Veeam it appears that providing the libmysql / libmysql18 package is available then Veeam can successfully interact with Mariadb.
Thanks, that's extremely interesting to know!

When I started this forum topic, I was testing only with CentOS 8, which comes with MariaDB 10.3. I never tried backing up one of my CentOS 7 systems that run MariaDB 5.5. From what you write, it sounds like it should work.

Do you by any chance know the name of the library package that needs to be installed in CentOS 8 in order for Veeam to interact with MariaDB there? And what version(s) of MariaDB are you using?

@PTide:
Regarding the popularity of MariaDB, I can tell you that Red Hat switched to it as the default database in their distributions starting from RHEL 7. So, all Red Hat-derived distros since then have used MariaDB (rather than MySQL) as their "preferred" database. While you certainly can install MySQL on RHEL, doing so means that you need to use alternative, non-Red Hat supported repos, which is something I like to avoid. (Stability and security are much more important than having the latest version, so I stick with what Red Hat supports as much as possible.)
Joeln
Novice

Post by Joeln »

Appologies for the delayed Response

The Package is the libmysqlclient
I believe it is included in the epel 7 repo
We are using Mariadb 5.5.*

the libmysqlclient was just picked up automatically when running Veeam,

In response to your comment about RHEL switching to Mariadb as the preferred distro, OpenSUSE made the same Change in OpenSUSE 12.3
See the below link from MariaDB which shows all the linux distro's that now include Mariadb as the default
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/distributions ... e-mariadb/

Hopefully Veeam will eventually offer the supported needed for Mariadb, With support ending for CentOS7 in 2024 we are being forced to switch distro's to OpenSUSE.
Joeln
Novice

Post by Joeln »

@Ptide

Can you advise if any support for Mariadb is going to be added or being looked into?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
there are no news to share on official support.

Best regards,
Hannes
esn1
Lurker
Liked: never

[MERGED]MARIADB

Post by esn1 »

Hi
Is there news about official support for Mariadb 10.X with latest veeam backup and restore ?
Can I use the Mysql veeam agent ?

Thanks for reply
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2276 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi esn1

Welcome to the forum.
Please see the answers from my colleague.
Veeam Agent for Linux doesn't have an MariaDB integration.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
McKITGuys
Enthusiast
Full Name: McK Admins

Post by McKITGuys »

The company I do work for is within about 6 months of moving their current database to a MariaDB - so another vote for MariaDB integration as well please.