Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
storageguy
Expert
Liked: 13 times

Backup to Tape Jobs

Post by storageguy »

Hi,
We have two sites, site A and site B. Our VBR/Tape server is in site B. Our VMs and main repository are all in site A. Our Backup Jobs go to site A repository. Our Backup to Tape Jobs goes to the Tape server in site B traversing over the WAN. We want to avoid data crossing over the WAN. We want to get another repository in site B for our Backup Copy Jobs. So we plan to switch the source of the Backup to Tape Jobs from Backup Jobs to Backup Copy Jobs. Is it possible to switch Backup to Tape Jobs from Backup Jobs to Backup Copy Jobs?

Thanks,
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Re: Backup to Tape Jobs

Post by chris.childerhose »

Looks like you cannot do Backup Copy Jobs to tape but if you had a repository in Site B then you can do that to tape as per - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
storageguy
Expert

Post by storageguy » 1 person likes this post

The document actually says backup copy jobs.
"Backup jobs. You can select backups from available backup, backup copy or agent backup jobs. When a backup to tape job runs, Veeam Backup & Replication searches and archives restore points from the backups created by the selected backup jobs."

What i want to know is if I can switch the source of my backup jobs to backup-copy jobs?
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard

Ah yes - always good to read the fine print. :)

I believe you can switch the source for the tape jobs and then it will prompt from the backup copy what you want to send to tape as noted on that page. The entire chain, etc. If you are looking for it to move over and continue I am sure it will start new after the change.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
storageguy
Expert

Post by storageguy »

so switching the Backup to Tape source will not start with new backup and it will just continue whatever backup chain in the Backup Copy jobs?

I really want to make sure otherwise we will just wait once we have the site B Backup Copy repository in place.

Thanks
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard

I have never tested this myself and whether the chain will start over but if I was to guess it more than likely will. I would suggest cloning the tape job and then making the change to test it. If it maps to the files then it should continue otherwise start over. Typically testing is the best strategy to ensure it works as you want otherwise like you said wait on the new repo.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
david.domask
VeeaMVP
Liked: 278 times

Post by david.domask »

No need to clone the job.

When you add the backup copy, it's a new source and will be tracked separately by the Tape job. During the Add part of the tape job, it will ask you if you want to backup all chains or just the most recent (presuming there are periodic GFS points made).

Remember, Backup Copy isn't just an rsync of the source backup, it's a "backup of a backup", with it's own chain built from datablocks within the source job.

So when you add the Backup Copy job, it will backup its backup chain, VBK and increments if you desire.
David Domask | Director: Customer Care | Veeam Technical Support
storageguy
Expert

Post by storageguy »

@david.domask, so meaning all my previous backup chains from the former source (backup job) will be overwritten with the new source (backup copy job) backup chains?

Thanks
david.domask
VeeaMVP
Liked: 278 times

Post by david.domask »

Hi @storageguy, not quite. On Tape we don't do overwrites unless the tape is marked as free and allowed to be reused (or erased of course)

So the old chains will still be on tape safe and sound for the duration of the tape protection period.
David Domask | Director: Customer Care | Veeam Technical Support
storageguy
Expert

Post by storageguy »

Thanks David