Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
lsneed71
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: LaTonya Sneed

Azure Blob Object Storage and Merging

Post by lsneed71 »

Good day.
Please forgive, as I am still quite new to Veeam B&R.
We are attempting to create a data archiving solution here at my organization and I have questions about how object storage, capacity tier and archive tier:
1. When backups are performed on-prem and then moved from performance tier to capacity tier using SOBR in Azure, is there a merge process, like on-prem jobs? For compliance reasons, we have data that we do not want to be changed or overwritten;
2. Is it possible to backup data directly to object storage (archive tier) from volume on the storage or does the volume need to be attached to a Windows or Linux VM first.
Again, apologies if these questions seem strange or have been submitted previously. Trying to determine the best way to move, archive, and protect our data long-term.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Azure Blob Object Storage and Merging

Post by Gostev »

Hello,

1. No. Merge process is applicable to backup file chains only, and is used to move data from one file to another... object storage however has no file system, so there are no backup files there in principle :D

2. This capability is coming in V12. However, it is not necessarily a good idea with public cloud in particular, as this approach makes it nearly impossible to comply with the 3-2-1 rule of backups when backing up on-prem environments.

Thanks!
lsneed71
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: LaTonya Sneed

Re: Azure Blob Object Storage and Merging

Post by lsneed71 » 1 person likes this post

Gostev, Thank you! BTW, I have heard so much about your wonderful advice and expertise with this product. Looking forward to being a part of the forum and learning more from you and others.