Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
chrishcn
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Huc

How to remove warning "CBT-enabled VM having multi-writer disk(s) is not supported" from successful backup

Post by chrishcn »

Hello,

We recently created Netapp luns that act as quorums for our various Windows SQL clusters.

The disks are attached via RDM to each VM and appear as multi-writer.

I'm having the following warning: SetVmChangeTracking failed, vmRef 'vm-623045', changeTrackingEnabled 'True' The operation is not supported on the object. (CBT-enabled VM having multi-writer disk(s) is not supported)

This is my first time using RDM. I think I understood that these disks cannot be excluded from the snapshot operation and that there are no disk mode available.

Is there a way to remove the Veeam warning as the backup itself is going well?

Thank you.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1407 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: How to remove warning "CBT-enabled VM having multi-writer disk(s) is not supported" from successful backup

Post by Andreas Neufert »

If I remember correctly, this is only shown the first time when you add the VMs or change the config. Next run should be clean and should show same issue in green. Please check.
chrishcn
Novice

Re: How to remove warning "CBT-enabled VM having multi-writer disk(s) is not supported" from successful backup

Post by chrishcn »

@Andreas Neufert, unfortunately the warning persists for several days, on fulls and increments.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Did you tried to exclude the disks from the processing (Source tab - Exclusion buttons). You can exclude spcific SCSI IDs there.
chrishcn
Novice

Post by chrishcn »

I did, SCSI controller 1 is created for the RDM Disk and the virtual device Node is SCSI(1:0)

In the job I chose the "Selected disks" options on the specific servers and checked SCSI(0:0) to SCSI(0:4) only ==> 4 basics disks to backup

The warning remains.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Please open a support ticket, upload logs and share the Support ID for reference here.
chrishcn
Novice

Post by chrishcn »

Moderator edit (correct case number): #05504923
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Idea from support is to backup once with default settings => warning/error because not all disk can be CBT enabled.
Then remove the "Automatic CBT enabelement" in the job setting.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Only side effect is, that you would have to enable the checkbox temporarly if you add new VMs to the job that have no CBT enabled already, so that the job will use CBT with them. Backup once and remove the setting again.