Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sarapinho
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Amauri Ramos

About Repository Linux

Post by sarapinho »

Hey guys,

Doubt it, I'm setting up a linux repository to have immutable backups, it will be a raid6 8 disks of 16tb.

As a best practice would it be interesting to add an SSD just for the OS?

Thanks
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: About Repository Linux

Post by ronnmartin61 » 1 person likes this post

I don't know that we explicitly call that out as a Veeam best practice but generally it's a pretty good idea and definitely won't adversely affect the repo...
jcalvetm
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jordi Calvet

Post by jcalvetm »

I set up a test linux hardened repo just to try and I love the idea of adding one to a backup structure.

System requirements are quite low, specially because a console install is enough. Graphic environment is not necessary, even more, I think that is a nuisance. But, as said by ronnmartin61, a bit of speed is always welcome and they do not cost a fortune. I would go for it, although, it will make a difference, but not a "huge difference" -linux is quite "lightweight" when stripped from graphih things-

My only advice is getting a good quality one ("server" quality). You do not need a big disk: It is enough with a few gigabytes -remember, no extra software no graphic environment- so you can adjust the cost. I used ubuntu server in an (very) old Proliant ML350 G5 with SAS mechanical disks and it worked like a charm -in a test environment-.

Best regards.
sarapinho
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Amauri Ramos

Post by sarapinho »

Yes, I agree with the idea of having the SSD! we usually do this when the repository goes on the same machine that will be the veeam manager.

And about the server config, we always keep an eye on the controller cache and so on.

Thanks everyone for the reply.